Sunday, May 19, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival :: Absolutely Mod Pop {Quilt Photographer Category}

It was a difficult decision to decide what quilt to share for my second entry in the Blogger's Quilt Festival. I finally chose the one that was the biggest challenge. Though I love a quick and easy finish, those that stretch me as a sewist and a quilter are definitely an important part of my personal journey. And my Absolutely Mod Pop was definitely one of those projects.
When I first saw the quilt made by pattern designer Distant Pickles, I thought hers was amazing, but I really had no inclination to make one myself. But in the end, I decided to sew along with the Mod Pop QAL.

I chose seven Kona solids - Berry, Crocus, Hibiscus, Lupine, Petunia, Thistle, Violet, plus another Violet of unknown origin. The chain fabric is Northcott Colorworks' Pearl, a very light gray and still one of my very favorite neutrals. Templates were available, and cutting my curves out with a very small rotary cutter worked just fine. And then came the dreaded piecing.
Despite help from a variety of sources, I did struggle with it, and let it dawdle on much too long. Finally, though, the blocks were done, and from there the piecing was quick and easy. So the next big decision was the quilting, and though a challenge for me and my inexperience with free-motion shows now and then, it was hugely satisfying, being the largest quilt I had ever free-motion quilted (all the purples). In person you can see better that the purple thread I used was variegated. In the gray chains, I stitched with my walking foot echoing the curves with a solid gray thread, marking that center line with my hera before stitching.
A solid light purple binding finished it off, and we took it out for a very fun photo shoot. And I confess, I was pretty proud and pleased, yes even relieved, to have conquered the Mod Pop!



Spring Blogger's Quilt Festival - AmysCreativeSide.com

My previous entries in the Blogger's Quilt Festival:
HST Love, 5/17/13
Hopscotch, 5/19/12
Mango Revisited, 10/28/11
Supernova, 5/13/11


Linking up with the Blogger's Quilt Festival in the Quilt Photographer category. 

21 comments:

  1. Hi There,Loooove the colors!!!!Have a great week!!!
    Love
    AMarie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great finish and the quilting is brilliant! Lovely color selection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt, so nice to see it in the festival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colour choices - and the quilting definitely gets it to "pop".

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous quilt, Debbie. And your quilting is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful quilt. Terrific quilting. Color choices are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see this beauty again! The colours are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, love the quilting. This could go in the photography category too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos and quilt are superb!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such an eye-catching quilt. Love it! Your photos are great too, especially on that "Unexpected Red" background. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful love those purples

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Debbie! I love your quilt! That pattern is fantastic - I haven't done any curves yet. Also your colours are beautiful! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  13. This quilt is outstanding, I love the colors!!!! The photos are beautiful, I like them because I can see all the details closely. This was a good selection to participate in the Blogger's Quilt Festival. Beautiful!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Marisa from
    http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a gorgeous quilt, and a fantastic entry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous quilt and absolutely amazing photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilt! And I love all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally fabulous!!! It is so striking in those purples and the quilting is gorgeous. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete