Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Sunshiney Day

This time last year, my son and daughter-in-law were living in Minnesota and experienced the worst winter there in over 50 years. This year though, they are happily and warmly settled in California. So when son asked if I'd be willing to make a quilt for his youth group's auction, all I could really think of was blue skies and ocean, green trees, and the warmth of the sun. Thus, the wonky cross quilt we had agreed on became "Sunshiney Day".
The wonky cross block is one of the easiest and most satisfying I know. I raided my stash solids and pulled a variety of colors that reminded me of a beautiful, warm California day. And for a touch of sunniness, I added a lone salmon-colored block. I wanted to let that salmon block shine a bit more than it already did, so I crazy-pieced its cross using bits from the other blocks.
For the back, I made one big ole cross with the winning combo of Joel Dewberry's Notting Hill Frames and boho by Urban Chicks.
When it came time for quilting, I extended the arms of the crazy-pieced block all the way out to the edges. In each quadrant, I echo-stitched at 1/2" intervals, using my walking foot and a fun Aurifil 50wt #2805 (light blue). Remember, blue sky is a key ingredient here! Then within the arms of the cross I matchstick-quilted to make a large cross the width and length of the quilt.
Finally it came down to binding and I decided to use scrappy solids, and I think it suits the quilt well. Measuring 46x58", Sunshiney Day is a nice-sized lap quilt that will hopefully warm someone inside, if not out.

This project is my first finish from my 2014 FAL Q1 list. Linking up with Fabric Tuesday.

38 comments:

  1. I love this! It is so bright and cheerful and very clever quilting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how the matchstick quilting adds that extra dimension to the overall look of this quilt! Another winner Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that quilting is just perfect. It really makes that quilt. And I love the backing!
    E xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt! Love the fabrics and the way you quilted it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful quilt! Someone is going to be lucky to snuggle up in this one :-) Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it -- what a great colour palette, Debbie. Love the crazy pieced section and how it guided your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful! You have picked the best colours and the quilting is perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun quilt, the colors really do sing "California!" -- definitely NOT Minnesota -- where I live!
    Your quilting is just amazing, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it Debbie, colors are great and the quilting design is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is truly beautiful Debbie and the quilting just sets it off perfectly! I think it is the perfect definition of "sunshine!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! You added so many great details!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So bright and fun, and I love the back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All around perfect for the son's youth group! Love it! Love the colors and your quilting! Once again I'm so inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely quilt! The quilt remainds flags of Scandinavian countries.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome finish, so colourful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow - awesome! These are EXACTLY the colours I love so much and put all together too :) Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so great, Debbie! Love your quilting and that crazy-pieced cross is perfect! I'm sure this quilt will make someone very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This quilt is so cheerful and pretty! Your quilting is beautiful on it. It will make you smile on those rainy days!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the crazy pieced cross, it just sets it off nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It turned out great! Love what you decided to do with the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love this quilt! I hope it raises lots of money for them

    ReplyDelete
  22. This quilt is brilliant. So simple and bright. I love it. I love the scrappy binding, too. I just finished binding a small quilt (approx. 56"x56") with 50 scraps of all different prints :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic. Everything right down to the binding

    ReplyDelete
  24. This turned out really awesome. I love how you quilted it :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have a weak spot for wonky cross quilts and yours is a great one! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a stunning quilt Debbie - really love your amazing quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The colors make this a very happy little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is great! You know I love bright colors! Love it! It is sunny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh my that is simply stunning. My daughter is still in Minnesota (far from Texas!), and that quilt would definitely cheer up anyone, anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wowsers! Congrats on your first finish for 2014. Excellent quilt, and I love how you walked us through the highlights and techniques in the quilt.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love it! Another winning quilt project by you. Thanks for all the information about your process.

    Yours was the fist quilting blog I ever started following and I must say you have been a constant and delightful source of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really like this quilt. I love the colours and your quilting on it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a pretty quilt, Debbie. Very effective in its simplicity. You really have an eye for color and graphic designs. I really like what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love your crosses! one of my fav designs.

    ReplyDelete