Saturday, January 25, 2014

Economizing

When I shared this little block right after New Year's, I had every intention of making oodles more and having an Economy Block quilt as my first scrappy quilt of the year. 
And then last night, with a few free hours to sew, I looked at the 6 blocks I'd made and everything changed.
Don't get me wrong. They are darling. I love the scrappiness. I love seeing all the quilts made from them. And a part of me wanted one for my very own. But apparently not a big enough part. Because what I really wanted last night was to just stitch up a mini. So that's what I did.
Nine blocks just under 5" each, pieced together and quilted with a few square spirals and echos. And a little black and white stripe binding to set it all off.
A total change of plans. But a satisfying one at that. 

25 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the perfect way to "economize"! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes a mini is enough - love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! I want to make some mini's this year, I have blank walls and enough quilts on our beds. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute. I made ONE block & made it into a mug rug, LOL. done and done

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable -- I participated in the flicker block swap sometime last year and need to make a few more to fill out the ones I received but I'm leaning toward a mini myself. I love all these big ones I see online but I don't think I have that much coordinating fabrics to make it not look like a mess in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your colors are very strong and it makes a very potent mini. Good choice to limit it to a size in which those fabrics could really shine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the bright colors and the spirally quilting! And hey - at least they became something and not a pile of lost blocks somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes the blocks tell you what they want to be! Better a mini than orphan blocks and it is a beautiful wee thing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes the sewing project just speaks to you. Looks like you listened. Very cute, love the binding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a delightful mini! I love the B&W binding!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely quilting... It's a great mini :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Better than slogging through a project that you don't really want to do, and really it's adorable. Will look cute on a little wall space somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! Now I know what to do with the leftover blocks-minis!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your mini, and the colors you chose for your Bee Blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lol, it is a cute mini anyway, I love bee girl in the centre!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well it turned out super cute! I love the quilting and that binding is perfect :) way to follow your instincts to an adorable finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it and I really love the binding, it just makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The binding and quilting makes it extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi!!! It is very pretty and I love the binding!!!!

    ReplyDelete