Monday, November 16, 2015

Just Her Size

As a crawling baby, grandgirl loved for me to tip over the scrap basket so she could fuss around in all those colorful, soft scraps. Once a toddler, I'd push that basket over to the design wall, and she'd cover it with her own creation. Well look out! Grandgirl now has her own machine.



It's a Janome 11706 3/4 Size Hello Kitty Sewing Machine, and with her mama's help, she's already working on her first project - a sleeping bag for her dolly. From what I hear, sweet girl loves the stitching much more than the prep work, not unexpected for a 5-year-old attention span. But it's a start.

After we celebrated grandgirl's birthday over the weekend, I couldn't resist sewing up a pincushion for her, and chose Fabric Mutt's Deluxe Pincushion from her book, Sew Organized for the Busy Girl. It was quick to sew up, and of course I made it about as pink as I could.



As if the quilted 9-patch pocket on the front wasn't fun enough, so was the bit of accent ribbon on the side. I did have some tape measure ribbon like Heidi shows in her book, but I thought grandgirl might enjoy the sweet little deer.



I filled the pincushion with crushed walnut shells. and apparently overfilled a tad, as I had a rough time sewing that last 1/8" around. So perfect it's not, but I still think grandgirl will put it to good use.


Linking up with Finish It Up Friday.

19 comments:

  1. What a lovely sewing machine for little midinet! And her pincushion is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet is she! Happy birthday and happy sewing to your little grand girl. I know she will enjoy that adorable pin cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She will have a life of creative happiness at this rate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, Debbie, and darling pincushion! Having two granddaughters who love to sew, I can truly relate to the joy of sharing my years of experience w/ them. They're always eager to try something new and have been crazy about fabrics since the first time I shared my FQs with them and their eyes got as big as saucers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a very sweet post with an equally sweet pincushions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely. I think it's wonderful to encourage children to be creative. I've wanted to buy a machine for my own for the past couple of years but unfortunately everything I have seen is very girly and not at all what my boys like or want so for now I'm sticking to sharing mine with them and will just wait to buy them a full sized machine in a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet! And hurray for another sewer in the family! I'm teaching my 8-yr-old granddaughter to sew, too - fun times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! She's got the best teachers between her momma and grandma. And to be honest, I'm in agreement with Miss L...I'd much rather sew than prep!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very fun Deb! I bet you will be seeing doll clothes and mini quilts in no time :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lucky girl, that pincushion is lovely (and of course a Hello Kitty sewing machine).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore this post! How wonderful it is that grandgirl has been inspired so early in her life to play with fabric and sew. I'm still holding out hope that my girls (in their mid-late 20s) will do the same. It's not impossible...I only started sewing about 8 years ago. I look forward to reading future posts with projects completed by you, your daughter and grandgirl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This brought such a smile to my face. My granddaughter, now 7, has been the same way since she could reach and hold my scraps. Last year she got the same sewing machine for her birthday, "sewing pretty..." and just last weekend made a superhero patchwork cape. Only needed some pointers and supervision from Grandma. Her superpower is Love. Thanks for the smile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. An irresistible pair! Love seeing your grand girl getting into stitching so young and that you're helping her on her way. Every girl needs a pretty pincushion! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is so sweet! I love your pin cushion, too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad quilters and sewers are passing on the interest and skill to their children more often these days. I did not learn from my mother but as a mother I did teach my daughter and she'd like her own machine now too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is adorable! I love it! I need to get Max back on his quilt! :) Love that she has her very own machine!

    ReplyDelete