Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Chaotic Order


I looked it up, the definition of chaos: complete disorder and confusion · disarray · havoc · turmoil and on and on. And though the recent class with Libs Elliott included a very unique (and fun!) method for us each to design our own distinctive quilt, the end result seems to me quite the opposite of chaos.


The beautiful and textural Irome Muji cotton/linen blends by Kokka was for me, just perfect for this quilt, a joy to both sew and quilt. I took inspiration from a quilting design from Ashley/Film in the Fridge, rotating her original 90-degrees, which require marking every line, which seemed time-consuming at first, but in actuality went very well.


For thread, I started out using Aurifil 50wt #2000 (beige), and after a break of several days, inadvertently continued on quilting with another color, #2021 (natural white). Oops! Rather than unpick the whole thing, I kept using both threads, switching them out every several rows. Maybe not ideal, but I can live with it.


Finishing at 48" square, I expect this quilt finds a happy home in our living room, where it coordinates well with our 'wild' chair. It seems meant to be.


Linking up with Fabric Tuesday and Finish It Up Friday!

18 comments:

  1. I can't tell a difference in thread color from these photos; the quilting just looks like wonderful texture. I think that continuing to change out the thread color just makes it another design element. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt - I wish I could free myself to work on such a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing wrong with going with an inadvertant mistake! Beautiful colors in this quilt and chaos...to some yes, to me not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply beautiful!!! Love it...and Libs Elliot is a great quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's amazing!I love it so much

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just fantastic....Incredible that you composed such abstraction with balance that pleases the eye. Your color choices are superb and compliment the movement of shapes. Masterfully done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see beautiful chaos! Great outside pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is such a cool quilt! Love the colors, the chaos and the quilting. Really good finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! Hope to finish mine soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing!!! Ditto on Susan's comments. You really need to enter it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely adore this!!! I agree with the other posters... this needs to be entered somewhere! What a stunning finish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an amazing quilt Debbie and I love the quilting too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's great and the fabrics are glorious - gotta get me some of those! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this piece and the two color threads works for me. Love the quilting design too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks fantastic! I love the quilting too! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is absolutely stunning Debbie! The quilting is awesome too. Great, great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbie - what a fantastic finish. I love your colours. So great. Thanks so much for linking up with the Finish-A-Long, on behalf of all of the hosts :) he he!

    ReplyDelete