Monday, December 26, 2016

More Maker's

Ever since I made myself a Maker's Tote last summer, I've been wanting to make one for
daughter dear. But Rachel and I never really got together to settle on fabrics for hers, so months later, it occurred to me to make one for her for Christmas. I did quiz her about some of her current fabrics (Do you think she had a hunch what I was up to?), then chose several coordinates for her bag. In doing so, a lightbulb went on, and I knew I had to make a bag for grandgirl too.


With Anna/noodlehead's Maker's Tote coming in two sizes, it was perfect to personalize for my two girls. All of the fabrics I chose were from Cotton + Steel - Rachel's was made with three prints from Rashida Coleman-Hale's Raindrop; Lucy's with C+S Basics. Both were accented with Essex Linen.


I knew from the first time that taking one step at a time with these bags would be the way to go, and with the Christmas rush at home and at work, that definitely proved to be true.


Rather than searching around town, I ordered the zippers needed from ZipperStop. Metal zips aren't specified in the pattern, but I really love them for these bags. I was a tad wiggly with the exterior zippers for no apparent reason. And those main zippers may look tricky but are not at all. I love Anna's technique with the bit of trim covering the zipper edge. It looks great and is easily executed.


I'll show both bag interiors so you get a peek at the accent fabrics and those interior pockets - two kinds - which really add to the bag's functionality.


It's the gussets - which totally make the bag stand well - which were the trickiest part of these bags for me. Totally doable, yes, but still a tad finicky. And though I'm not a frequent user of wonder clips, they are so handy in this case.



But gussets and all, I'm so glad I tackled these as my main gift-sewing this year. Though mine has been perfect for my intended use - as a "ready to go and sew" bag to take to sew-ins, retreats, or other times I sew away from home, I'm pretty sure Rachel will be using hers for her knitting. Lucy out-right told me, she'll be using hers for her dolls. Which is all well and good. This tote is just plain perfect for makers and more!



Linking up with Finish It Up Friday!

11 comments:

  1. Such nice gifts! This is a great pattern - I'll have to keep it in mind for future needs :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Mom! We love our bags!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are both beautiful Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to be your daughter! LOL seriously plan to make one of these someday

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done such a professional job of these Debbie! There is no sign of any difficulty you had in making them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous bags and such wonderful gifts!! Love your blog..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Job well done! I'm sure they were appreciated and will be for a long long time! I admire bag makers! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your fabric choices. I have made a small Maker's Tote for my knitting, and I think it's the best project bag ever.

    I lurk but never comment on your blog, so I'm taking this opportunity to thank you for the work you put into your blog and your triple zip pouch tutorial, and to wish you a very happy and creative 2017!

    ReplyDelete