Thursday, December 29, 2016

Relatively Subtle


The last challenge of the Mighty Lucky Quilting Club 2016 was by Carolyn Friedlander - Project Overwhelm: Organization and Palette Cleansers. Not that one can't always use some improvement, but I feel pretty good about my organization. Between my Quilter's Planner and the good ole OneNote app, I'm able to keep fairly on top of my projects. And honestly, I've long known that Carolyn's idea of a "palette cleanser" project is the best way to both take a breather and refresh before getting back to the to-do list.



I seriously didn't have a spare moment for a palette cleanser during the last couple of weeks, but it was just what I needed once that secret sewing was done, Christmas celebrated, and a short break in the day job opened up. I gathered some scraps and a penciled design from my sketch book, and set to piecing. Super simple, I went through the motions that by now are nearly second-nature. Quilting was done in several colored threads with a relaxing yet satisfying organic straight-line, and happily, I found a perfectly plaid binding in my stash.
 

The entire mini - measuring 17" x 17", just like the rest of my Mighty Lucky challenge quilts - took just a few hours and was like a breath of fresh air, and precisely what I expect Carolyn had in mind.


And with that, my year of Mighty Lucky Quilting Challenges is complete. Whoa. There were a few favorites and a couple where I forced myself to give it a go. But overall, it was a good experience. I'm glad I keep the projects small, and the uniformity of size helped me focus. And there are definitely some techniques that I want to revisit in future work.

Left to Right, Top to Bottom: January - "Pantone Meets Bias Tape" with Krista Fleckenstein ~ February - "Scrap Leather" with Season Evans ~ March - "So Wrong It's Gotta Be Right" with Rossie Hutchinson ~ April - "Worth 1000 Words" with Alison Glass ~ May - "Flutterby" with Amy Gibson ~ June - "just take it one stitch at a time" with Angela Walters ~  July - "Singleton" with Cheryl Arkison ~ August - "A Little Punchy" with Sarah Fielke ~ September - "Space" with Jacquie Gering ~ October - "DIY Embroidery" with Nichole Voglesinger ~ November - "Effective Fabric Selection" with Amanda Jean Nyberg ~ December - "Relatively Subtle" with Carolyn Friedlander

Mighty Lucky Quilting Club, 2016

10 comments:

  1. I love this one. good for you getting all 12 done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow - super little quilts! Especially love April's - "Worth 1000 Words"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so impressed you did all of them! I only did about 1/3. Did you sign up again? I am using 2017 to finish the 2016 prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This may be my favorite of the series. I signed up to do the challenge is 2017 and my plan is similar - to select a size and perhaps even a color palette and stick to it through out the year. Good job on finishing the challenge - it's easy to get distracted by shiny objects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a soothing palette and the quilting sets off the mood perfectly! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just signed up. Hope to learn a few new things in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this one too! Congrats on sticking with it and making all 12 projects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this one and those colors...perfect! Congrats on making through the entire series, something I may not have been able to do! Will you be doing another year? Dare I sign up? I promised to limit myself this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like Carolyn's challenge was well timed. I really like seeing everything you created for the year grouped together. Will you participate again next year?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I signed up for 2017 and can't wait to start ... Making minis of the same size is a good idea !

    ReplyDelete