Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Summer Sampler 2018 :: Moais

This week's Summer Sampler block is another where I learned something, and it wasn't about sewing. To wit: "Easter Island (Isla de Pascua in Spanish) is a Chilean island in the southeastern Pacific Ocean, at the southeasternmost point of the Polynesian Triangle in Oceania. Easter Island is most famous for its nearly 1,000 extant monumental statues, called moai, created by the early Rapa Nui people. In 1995, UNESCO named Easter Island a World Heritage Site."


And it was these moais that inspired Carolina Oneto's block design. If you're like me, each one of the QAL blocks has been more interesting yet once I've heard about their inspiration, and I've really enjoyed that!


I've had all of my Summer Sampler blocks up on the design wall lately just to check on the balance of fabrics that I've used. Like this week, I intentionally used a background I'd only used twice before. As we have just two blocks left to do (sad face), I'll be keeping a good eye on that balance going forward.

4 comments:

  1. The Moais are super fascinating. Another great block to add to your growing collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the minimalism of this block

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good contrast in color and line with your other blocks.
    Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to ask how many more blocks there were! I'm excited to see how this finishes up. It does make it a little more interesting when you can learn something while making these!

    ReplyDelete