Monday, December 24, 2018

Still Sewing...

Don't think for a minute that I haven't been sewing every chance I've gotten since posting a couple of finishes last week. Here are just a few more projects that have either already been gifted or are for ME!

This little fabric star goes by alot of names.... Danish Star, Scandinavian Star, Woven Star, etc. I kind of used a combination of two tutorials to make mine - one by EvQuilts, and one from We All Sew. I like the folded fabric technique in the first - and the wonderful step-by-step photos - but the dimensions - and videos - in the second. Cutting my fabric 4" x 16" and folding per EvQuilts' instructions led me to a successful star. I was really hoping to make more of these - wouldn't they make a fun garland?!


I also made another Box Pouch using Katie/Sew Katie Did's Box Pouch pattern, only this time it was basically a "wholecloth" pouch, meaning I used a single fabric for the exterior. The design was perfect to just layer with interfacing and batt and get to quilting, no marking required.


It ended up being a really soft pouch, but had plenty of structure. I like to press these pouches well along all the 'edges', though of course those edges soften with use.


A project I decided to make on a whim was a set of holiday pillowcases for our bed. Our quilt is really neutral, as you might remember, so I kept that in mind as I considered fabric. I finally chose Sleeping Deer from the Pine Grove line by Dear Stella. For the cuff, I used Anna Maria Horner's Illuminated Graph in Seafoam from her Loominus collection, and the bit of metallic woven in just adds to the festivity. And then the little red accent strip is by Karen Lewis Textiles.


Pattern-wise, I followed the tutorial by Twiddletails, which I've used before and like alot. One tricky bit was my use of directional fabrics, coupled with the fact that I needed the cases to 'face' opposite directions. The simple trick when using directional fabrics is this: Anina's tutorial has you cutting your main fabric 27" x 41", which in most cases, you'd cut the 41" across the width of fabric, using only 3/4 yard of fabric (27"). With a direction print, you need to cut your 41" along the length of the fabric, thus you need just under 1 1/4 yard fabric. Just a little mind game, but nothing too tricky!


I also needed a stash of gift tags. Since I already had plain shipping tags from when I made quilted gift tags, I used them again, this time stitching on some scraps of ribbon. At 4 3/4" x 2 3/8", they're definitely on the large size, but they work!



So that's all I can share right now, but the good news is my 'necessary' sewing is done! Off to work this morning and then time with the family. Good times!

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Debbie! A garland of the folded stars would be really delightful. Directional prints can definitely help us stay mentally sharp in our makes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’ve been cranking! Good for you. Merry Christmas to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas... love your folded star, mine are never so neat. Your gift tags are wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful fabric design. I found another fabric design which is Broadway Fabrics.

    ReplyDelete