Monday, March 4, 2019

QuiltCon 2019 :: The Special Exhibit Tour

So I'm home now from QuiltCon and visiting our Tennessee family, but hope you don't mind, I still have much to share about my time away. It's going to take me a while to sort through all the photos, etc. etc., but I thought I'd continue the story by sharing something I'd never done before. And that was the QuiltCon Special Exhibit Tour with Mary Fons. I know. THAT Mary. Mary the quilter and the writer and Editor in Chief of Quiltfolk magazine.


There were actually six special exhibits at QuiltCon, including the MQG Quilts of the Month, Thomas Fire Charity Quilts, The 100 Days Project, and the QuiltCon Charity Quilts, which I'll share about in another post. On the tour, Mary focused on the other two exhibits: Selections from the Childress Collection [shown here] and The Quilts of Sherri Lynn Wood.


There were a few reasons I signed up for the tour:
1 - I remembered Karen/@capitolaquilter telling me last year how much she enjoyed going on these 'behind the scenes' tours;
2 - Mary Fons, enough said?;
3 - It only lasts an hour, so it was something relatively short I could squeeze in on my last morning before leaving QuiltCon.

I hope to make it a regular occurrence in any future QuiltCons I attend. Mary is full of knowledge about quilt history, and hearing her share about the creator/collector and their quilts was both interesting and entertaining. Just something to keep in mind.....

8 comments:

  1. so glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to remember that for future quilt cons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary comes by it honestly; her mom is a member of the American Quilt Study Group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear it was worth doing. I've never been on one myself but would definitely consider it in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fun! I'll think of it for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must remember that for next year, I like hearing the backstory on quilts. I like Mary's sneakers, they look very comfortable, most important for walking around looking at quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to remember to sign up for another exhibit tour, I did one last year and did not think to sign up for one this year. It looks like it was great tour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to do this tour, but I had conflicts every day it was offered. The quilt in the second photo has a very interesting weight and texture (I helped hang it).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to hearing and seeing all your adventures! I'll have to remember about this for next time I attend!

    ReplyDelete