Monday, June 24, 2019

Vivid

When I told our family friend I wanted to make him a quilt to take to college, and asked if he'd like that, he said, "Sure! Quilts are cool." Yay. So I queried him about favorite colors, and was kind of surprised at his response. Red and purple! I took inspiration from Jeni Baker's Vast quilt, and since I was working mostly with fat-quarters, I opted for 15 1/2" unfinished half-square triangle blocks.


I quilted the HSTs with a simple grid using Aurifil #2250[Red]. Though I had at first thought I would do some of the quilting in dark purple, instead I decided to focus on purple in the binding. Using giucy_giuce's Hyperbolic print from his Redux line was an inspired choice for binding. Cutting it on the lengthwise grain near the selvage allowed for a sporadic 'stripe' I found very interesting.


So the quilt finished at 60" x 75", a generous lap-size. The bright and bold colors in a simple design was a nice change of pace, and hopefully will be a nice reminder of 'home' as someone near and dear heads off on his big adventure.

15 comments:

  1. Love the quilt Debbie. Thanks for the inspiration. I am looking for simple quilt to make for my sons too

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely gift! I think it's very generous of you to offer to make it for him, and like you, I'm surprised by his color choices. But they're fantastic together! Oversized HSTs is sure the way to go for a bold, graphic look. He's off to college, but you're the one who gets an A+!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lucky lucky college student! it's very cheerful

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color combination is stunning! I love the pictures 😍

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful gift, the saturated colors are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely quilt for a boy. The colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red and purple - that is a totally surprising choice for a college guy. But through wishes like that you suddenly try new great things. Isn´t that a wonderful win-win-situation? I have made the same HST quilt in decent colors for a student.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red and purple- I love it! I hope your friend loves it as much as your followers do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beautiful!! A piece of home for when he should get homesick too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would say this was pretty 'cool'!! I think he might be surprised at just how much he will be using it at college!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of my favorite color combos. Looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, interesting choice - especially for a guy. But it looks bold, graphic and bright. I hope he loves his gift! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a quilt with great impact in that lovely strong colour combination. He will surely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! I often ask graduates if they want a quilt or money. If they say, "quilt", I know they will appreciate it.😊

    ReplyDelete