Monday, March 23, 2020

The Kintsugi Experiment

So I shared in my last post how I was trying out the improv Kintsugi technique found in Nicholas/@quiltsfromtheattic's Inspiring Improv. And you guys, I really really enjoyed the process. I'm not quite sure why, but I found the technique very enjoyable to execute, though I will say, it had an element of 'figure it out as you' to it, as after cutting each background square, I had to decide what feature fabric to sub in where. Personally I like that kind of puzzling, but just fyi.


It felt right to create a backing pulling from the same fabric pull, though I needed to add some orange-y solid to bring it to size.


Quilting was done in a diagonal grid using Aurifil 50wt #2310 [light beige] which nestled in nicely into the Natural Essex Yarn Dyed Homespun background, yet shone very subtly on all the non-neutral fabrics.


The piece finished at 24" x 42" and when we put it on our table in the living room, it looked like it belonged there. Love when that happens!

8 comments:

  1. It looks great on your table, and wow look at your beautiful blooming cactus! It's been raining off and on here for going on 3 weeks and I'm starting to be hopeful for some nice flowers this spring. Some of the shapes look like A-frame houses to me and I also see happy stick figures waving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt! I really need to get myself in gear and do some projects here. My problem being my outside critters needing my care, love and affection. (Especially my tiny yearling lamb.) Yesterday I was going to do a Quarantine Quilt Along, but got sidetracked by helping to put baby furniture together. That was fun though! There's plenty to do here in our shelter in place. Never a dull moment...thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It totally looks like it belongs there :) I love the idea and your fabrics and improv design are great! Stay well xo Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, exciting finish! Good choice for quilting too.
    You're onto something good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks wonderful on your table. i'm going to try this technique out one of these days

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really gorgeous Debbie! And I love where you put it. I'm going to look into that technique - the results are just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm intrigued by this technique! Puzzle or not, you made a gorgeous runner that can be proudly displayed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Nicholas Ball's book on improv piecing! Your quilt is wonderful and looks great on your table!

    ReplyDelete