Thursday, December 17, 2020

2021 Planning Party

It's time for Yvonne/Quilting JETgirl's #2021PlanningParty, so I'm taking a moment to look ahead. First though, I want to glance back at the plans I made this time last year.

The Quilts
  • Overall, the biggest success of the year has to be that I was still inclined to sew. More than ever, my quilting kept me centered in some very turbulent times.
  • Specifically, my Begonia quilt and the 2020 Summer Sampler did get done at the beginning of the year as hoped. Happily I was able to finish at least one quilt a month throughout the year. Some small, some large, a finish is a finish. Though I didn't use Enchanted, the Kona color of the year, I did manage to focus on Pantone's Classic Blue in Utterly Blue as well as Blue II, so I'm good with that.
  • Stash-busting was successfully a priority, and I enjoyed the challenge. And through November, I was able to use over 100 yards of fabric from my stash. I feel good about that! I also incorporated scraps into several quilts, so that goal was definitely met though the scrap basket is still full.
  • The hope for a Christmas quilt didn't pan out, but maybe someday!
The Community
  • I was able to blog 2-3 times most weeks, though the hope of expanding from just sharing what I make didn't really happen. This year has been weird, and though I sewed plenty, getting out of my routine of basically sharing projects didn't evolve much.
  • Publishing The Scrap Basket newsletter every 3-4 week did happen, and the readership has consistently grown. More about that below.
  • Learning more Instagram features didn't really progress as I'd hoped. I'm in a quandary about whether I should make my account professional, which might unlock some new features. I did try to post on stories more, and was successful (enough) there.
  • Another IG improv sewalong did not happen either. I just didn't have the focus to put into it.
New Directions
  • Neither the artist challenge I had hoped to do nor any progress on monetizing my blog panned out, but I was successful at doing more "surprise" making and gifting, especially through about August. I made and gifted impromptu gifts to at least 10 of my friends or family members, so that felt really good to do.
So considering everything, I'd say 2020 was successful, but maybe not forward-thinking as much as I'd hoped. So on to 2021....


The Quilts
As usual, quilts are where I'll spend most of my sewing time. My goals surrounding them are minimal though.
  • Of course I want to make something with 2021's Pantone colors of the year, Ultimate Gray and Illuminating. Once I get official Pantone swatches, I'll begin the process of choosing fabrics. 
  • Dare I say there are no wips lurking about? Still hoping to finish my RAY quilt before 2020 ends, but if not, promptly in 2021.
  • More stash-busting and scrap-using is definitely in order. AND improv. The goal of at least one finished quilt project a month really encourages me along, so there's that too.
  • And Bee Sewcial, an improv and solid-only bee, is heading into our 7th(!) year together and I anticipate the group growing a bit. This bee has really challenged me over the years, and I look forward to more of that.
Handwork
  • I definitely want to keep up with the handwork I've been doing this year, and continue to be open to learning new techniques. Thus I joined Blair Stocker's Snowflake Sampler to learn chicken scratch embroidery. 
  • I'm also currently working on a large Dropcloth Sampler, and finishing that in the new year is also a goal.
The Community
Again, mostly I want to do more of the same:
  • Regular, frequent posting on the blog here and on Instagram. They pretty much go hand in hand for me.
  • I plan to carry The Scrap Basket into its 6th year, though as much as I enjoy publishing it, I keep debating if it's cost-effective. Prices have jumped with a growing readership, and considering I publish just once every few weeks, it's costly. At this point, I consider it a gift to my community and justify it that way.
QuiltCon Together
  • It's not the same as QuiltCon, that's true, but I'm really looking forward to QuiltCon Together, and have signed up for a pretty full experience.
New Directions
  • Is it bad to say I have nothing major planned? So much is uncertain, I'm giving myself the grace to take it as it comes.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like a very successful 2020. This year is definitely the year to give yourself grace. Just surviving this year is enough - I know I didn't have enough energy left over to worry about the future, but future-me will (easily?) fend for herself once the pandemic is over. I wish you the best in 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing your accomplishments and goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to try this...but if it's anything like New Year's resolutions...they usually don't work for me. I am always saying I need to get organized...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a great year! I subscribed to your Scrap Basket letter, looks fantastic!
    Hope the next year will be as creative as 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting reading, Debbie! It's good to have insight into how another quiltmaker views her craft. No matter what your 2021 goals may be, overarching is that everything you make is wonderful, and it's always good to see your creativity. Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love that you finish the last years projects in the beginning of the next year. Do you even have older UFOs that you totally squished in the back of the closet? Hope you have lots of fun sewing and interacting in 2021! Oh, and that you like the virtual QuiltCon. I will skip because after this years experience I can't imagine it compare... but I really hope everyone loves it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your newsletter is one of my favorites and I'm happy it will continue but understand the cost dilemma.

    Re: making your IG account professional, I switch to a business account maybe a year ago and to be honest, there are not a lot of noticeable differences to the viewer, but more tools available to me. I haven't found much downside.

    ReplyDelete