Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Summer Sampler 2021 :: Summer Breeze

What's not to love about a pinwheel, right? I absolutely loved those pinwheel-spinners-on-a-stick that I remember from my childhood. So there were good vibes right off with this week's Summer Sampler block, Summer Breeze, designed by Nadra Ridgeway/Ellis & Higgs.

This one involved some very unique piecing, and a certain 'matching' trick came in handy more than once. Do you know the one where you pin the edges you need to sew together, but before you sew the length, you stitch just over the trickiest match area with a long (I use 4.0) basting stitch? Just stitch an inch or whatever it takes to cover the tricky area. Then remove from your machine and take a look to see if your match is perfect. If not, it's easy to remove that basting stitch and try again. Once you've got it, stitch the length of the seam as you normally would with a regular stitch length. This tip has saved me numerous times, including in the making of this block! Anyway, it's done and I really like all the spinning going on.

4 comments:

  1. So man fun spinning shapes to see in this block, and that green in the center is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is fancy piecing! Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned that trick from you years ago and use it often! your fabric choices make this block especially fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that trick but I am often too lazy ;) But I have used it especially with FPP where I normally stitch with 1.0 and that is an almost impossibility to take out, so bastiing is the only option there... Love your block! xo

    ReplyDelete