Monday, August 2, 2021

Sew Together Bag SAL

So have you made a Sew Together Bag? I haven't, and honestly, I never expected to. It just looked a little too complex, and I wasn't sure what I'd use it for. A pattern by Michelle/Sew Demented, it's definitely a popular zipper pouch, with four(!) zippers, and plenty of room to personalize your fabric choices.

When Julia/Red Rainboots Handmade announced she'd be hosting a Sew Together Bag sew along, I paused just a second before texting my friend Sharon/@redapplestitches, as I knew she'd been wanting to make this bag for ages. She was interested in joining in, so I figured I might as well join her. Now or never, right? So I signed up, and after much mulling, came up with a plan!

For my bag, I'm taking a cue or few from Kristy/@rockbabyscissors, who has made several of these bags, but this one is the one that called to me. Not that mine will be a clone by any means, but I love the flying geese on her bag, and I'm planning on using Lee Heinrich's Perfect Geese template to make my own bag front. And as much as I love the multiple-colored zips and linings some folks have used, I think I'm going to simplify the look just a bit. So the exterior will be gray Essex linen, the Xs and Carolyn Friedlander prints will be the side panels and lining, and the golds will be the pocket linings, with coordinating zips. To be decided is the binding, but still, I think it'll work!

11 comments:

  1. YAY! I can’t wait to see yours… I think this bag is the most fun to sew when you do it with friends and commiserate along the way. It’s not hard… just a little fussy sometimes? :) Maybe it’s time I make another… hmmmm…

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made a bunch of these. My secret for sewing the zippers? Glue stick!

    Yours looks like it will be lovely. Go slow and have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made way too many of these bags for gifts (I think they're great for jewelry). The fabric combinations are endless. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I look forward to seeing how it comes together for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure your bag will be great! I've never made one but a friend made me one and I use it all the time for hand sewing supplies, a pocket for needles, a pocket for threads, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome fabric choices! I can’t wait to see how it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have had this pattern for years and not made this bag yet. Thank you for this post and I will be following to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always wanted to make one of these- how do I join in? I love your fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just emailed you! But for anyone else that wants to join, see the link here: https://linktr.ee/redrainbootshandmade

      Delete