Friday, February 4, 2022

Lineplay

So when I left off sharing about the progress on my current Quilt Improv Studio challenge project, I had four triangle-ish segments of improv lines, and honestly, I could have just left it as it was. I liked the imbalance and the tiniest bit of yellow in my primary + black & white palette. But I had other plans, and I felt compelled to see them though.

I had ordered some 28wt yellow thread [Aurifil #2120 Canary] and set out to create two "ghost-blocks," if you will.... segments that echoed the feel of the improv lines in the red and blue slabs, but in thread rather than fabric. Honestly, I love how it turned out!


Then, of course, I needed to quilt the rest of the design. I chose Aurifil 50wt in black [#2692] and in the red and blue sections, stitched from the edge up into the black lines and back out. In the yellow sections, I again echoed those lines but just until they met. (Sorry, forgot to take a photo.)


Once the planned quilting was complete, there was just a slight problem, and that was that just a few of the blue 'lines' bubbled up in the center more than I would have liked. So with happily matching thread, I quilted just a few of the red and blue lines in each section. Minor, but it helped the problem, and added a little extra interest.


At just over 24" square, "Lineplay" barely fits the minimum dimensions for the challenge, but it works! I'm happy that though it started with a couple of purely improvisational striped slabs, I find the resulting shapes very intriguing. And the ghost 'blocks' were fun to execute - one of the few times I've used 28wt thread. I definitely want to use it more. And last but not least, this piece was constructed mostly of scraps, which made me verrry happy.

7 comments:

  1. Your quilting adds so much texture, lovely fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a unique piece! I really like it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like all the variation this mini offers. I love that you used 28wt thread and look forward to how you incorporate it into more projects in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! The quilting of the « ghost » block in 28wt was such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oo so fun. I love the added quilting too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the special interest via the yellow big thread quilting. Great design! Enjoy your finish xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This little quilt turned out exceptionally well! I really like it, especially the ghost quilting, as you do too. I'm hoping to find some 28-weight thread at QuiltCon, as it's really intriguing. Or, if not, at least to get some 40-weight. It's nice to making the quilting show up. Now that you've made this quilt, is it in a competition? Or made just to share on social media?

    ReplyDelete