Thursday, February 24, 2022

Scrappy Hourglass

Early in the month, in an attempt to keep working through my scrap basket, I started making some hourglass blocks. I had a vague idea of creating something similar but different than "Timer", made late last year.


I really love the palette of this new piece! I could have gone on and on...


But things changed after I made a whole bunch of blocks - about 100. I was kind of out of larger pieces of the key fabrics and just felt like I needed to go another route. That, and if pieced in the orientation below, the quilt would have been about 45" square, and I was hoping for a little larger.


After staring at my design wall for days, I started rearranging blocks, and finally settled on a rough plan, with blocks straight but also on a diagonal. Can you see my rough design?


AND I added in another color - berry. The print I used has two shades, and I expect to add some solids in a future step. 

I've begun piecing the 'center' square of blocks, and then will have to figure out what's next. But at least I have the beginnings of a plan, and I'm thankful for that!

9 comments:

  1. Very exciting! The addition of berry and the straight and on point arrangement makes it sing.
    Great design journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the addition of the berry! Great changes to the layout.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is going in a very cool direction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking so good, those very 'berry bits' take it to the next level!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a grat idea. And the berry fits so well. Would not have thought of that. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the direction you are taking with this. The addition of the berry bits really packs a punch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonjour, je trouve très intéressant votre façon de procéder et le résultat est formidable. Bravo. Amicalement

    ReplyDelete