Tuesday, July 26, 2022

X Blocks

I realized the other day that I'd forgotten to blog about July's Bee Sewcial blocks for Stephanie/@spontaneousthreads. Her prompt was improv X blocks, inspired by the MQG QuiltCon 10 year challenge. We were asked to make two 12.5" blocks with one or many Xs per block. And for a palette - Xs were to be made with cool colors (one color grouping) and the background with warm colors (another color grouping).

The first view below shows my first 12.5" block in the orientation I was building towards as I pieced. But Stephanie asked that we send our blocks untrimmed, so the block has a bit of wiggle room to be oriented differently if she chooses. (shown in second view)


And here is the actually piece that I sent to Stephanie.


Below are similar views of my second block. Gotta say, these were really fun!



5 comments:

  1. Amazing improv piecing! and the warm/cool colors are perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes! They're both great! I like the color combinations, and the way you made the Xes. They're not all even, or complete. Some are just a suggestion of an X. I am sure Stephanie will like these, and I'll be watching to see what she does with them. Bet it will be a great X quilt, perfect for the MQG/QuiltCon X Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, those are fantastic blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like so much fun. How do you manage to keep the skinnies so even all the way through? Paper piecing? of slow sewing Mine always wiggle a little, but will keep at it Love your combinations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peg. None of this is paper pieces. And honestly, I think it looks straighter than it is! But I just use the edge of my pressure foot along the fabric edge. Personally I love those wiggles, though, and often create them on purpose. Thanks much for your kind words!

      Delete