Thursday, March 9, 2023

Aurifil Artisan Challenge :: Using Aurifloss | Beginning Big-Stitch Quilting

This month, the Aurifil Artisan Challenge is to create or share a project featuring Aurifloss embroidery thread. I had a set of Aurifloss all ready - Rosso Rubino by Susan Ache @yardgrl60 - with the intent on doing a cross-stitch project. Problem was, the pattern I had planned on using was way too small for my aging eyes, so a redirection was needed.

I'd read that Aurifloss worked great for big-stitch quilting, so I decided to go that route. And since I'm still in my 100 Day Project, I decided to make a scrappy quilt. On a whim, I chose to use mostly neutral scraps, thinking they would be a background that would let that Aurifloss really shine. I included just a few pieces of Kona Shell for a tiny bit of contrast, plus it coordinated well with the floss.

The quilt top measures about 34" x 40". I confess I cut it down a bit to 'fit' the Craft size (36" x 46") of Quilters Dream Natural Cotton Request Batting I'd purchased. I'd had good success with using this batt for hand-quilting before, so was eager to use it again.

For a change, I chose a solid quilt backing of Kona Ivory, again, so that hand-quilting would show well on the back of the quilt as well as the front. And, of course, pin-basting was in order. Luckily it didn't take long at all on a quilt sandwich this size.

So...the project is well underway! I'm quilting, deciding as I go on whether to be influenced by the pattern in a particular fabric or 'just' do straight lines or something else. It's a work in progress, and I'm figuring it out as I go. Meanwhile my hope is to use all 10 floss colors in the collection I'm working with, so I expect the color to be pretty random across the surface of the quilt. Sounds fun to me!


And yes, my leather thimble has stretched a bit due to use. But a wonder clip truly does work wonders on keeping the fit snug as I stitch!

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful project! I love it.
    Quilter's Dream is good batting, yes.
    The 'mostly neutral with Kona Shell for contrast' is perfect. Super.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like it will be a delightful piece to work on this month. I look forward to seeing the shapes you quilt and the way the thread colors shift and change across the quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cute quilt. Looking forward to seeing it develope. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a relaxing project, and I will enjoy watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice, Debbie! Your decision to piece an all-neutral quilt top is the perfect backdrop to your variety of Aurifloss colors. I know you'll like quilting with that Quilter's Dream Request Cotton, but I also recommend trying Quilter's Dream 100% Polyester. Years ago I took a workshop with a sewlebrity hand-quilter who had us use QD polyester batting in our little project. Let me just say... tiny hand stitches melted into the batting. Of course, you're big stitch quilting, so no doubt the cotton is working beautifully. But it's something to consider trying in the future. I like watching you mindfully enjoy the quilting process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve not tried Aurifloss before, interesting project. I look forward to seeing how it develops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming right along! Hope to have it finished before the month's end!

      Delete