Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Bombazine and More

With my own 100 Day Project being all about using scraps, I settled in to make several gifts, namely Bombazine oven mitts and potholders.

A friend had gifted me with her generous selection of embroidery thread which she could no longer use, and obviously a hand-made thank you gift was necessary. I'd been wanting to try the Bombazine Mitt from Bombazine for a while, and that with a coordinating potholder seemed perfect.

The mitt came first, pieced with various scraps, enhanced with a bit of hand-stitching using some of the floss I'd been gifted, and finished with a leather 'hanger.'

Then came the mitt, 8" square-ish, with the two rounded edges I'd seen Hannah @verdigrissewing do (and copied) last year.

Then mom, who had been a recipient of the great potholder giveaway last spring, randomly asked for another set - scrappy like the first, but larger. Per her request, the new set was made 10" square, equally handy as potholders or trivets. 


Though the fronts of all these projects were straight from the scrap basket, the backs were sometimes from stash - still trying to use the smaller pieces that linger there.


Then I decided my brother might enjoy a Bombazine Mitt to use with the scrappy potholders he'd already gotten. A simple uneven grid was a fun way to quilt his mitt.



And last of this bunch, was a pair of potholders for my daughter, Rachel @snippetsofsweetness.... just because. I made them 8" like the originals, happy to have found at least a few scraps to include that I knew were her old favorites.




So I felt like a change of pace after all those, and you'll be surprised (I think) to see what I started pulling from the scrap basket next....

3 comments:

  1. What a perfect thank you gift; I love the touch of floss hand stitching with the gifted thread. These look like fun and satisfying makes; I love it when I know where items will be gifted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these look like fun items to make. I like all of your happy colors! Curious what you are up to now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the shape of the potholders. Thanks for sharing.
    Kathleen - kakingsbury at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete