Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Grab&Piece

So as I recently posted, I'm working on a scrap quilt in the 'grab & piece' method, and so far, so good. I'm using as much of each pull as I can in each block, before moving on to another. With the first block, which measured 15" x 21", I ended up with just a small pile of neutral strips, which I'll fold into the next pull, rather than return them to the basket.



The second block turned out much larger - 19" x 27" - and reminded me that I didn't have to take TOO big of a handful to make a reasonably sized block.



Block 3 was slightly smaller at 19" x 21". I've been surprised how much white was in my scrap basket!



As I've begun making these blocks, I've also made a few rules for myself:
  1. Try to use up each scrap pull into a block, but if the block feels done before all the scraps are used, blend them in with the next scrap pull.
  2. No purple, as I'd already been gathering that for a separate project.
  3. Just use quilter's cotton; other substrates will be used elsewhere.
Here are my first three blocks up on the design wall. 



TBD what filler I might want or need later on. For now, I'm just making blocks. But let me know in the comments.... do you think a quilt like this is enhanced by added big swaths of color; or do you prefer just the chaotic scrappy blocks?

3 comments:

  1. I'm for more chaotic blocks. The larger pieces of neutral you've already incorporated look like landing pads for the eye to me. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gale. What I've added already came straight from the scrap basket. Thanks for responding and sharing that they are enough.

      Delete
  2. I don't think there is a wrong answer to your question, just different resulting quilts. I suppose I tend to be more requirements driven when I think about a quilt: if the goal is to only use from the scrap basket, then unless you notice a big trend (i.e. the lots of white you mention in this post), then big swatch of color probably aren't in the cards. If the goal is to achieve a particular size, then the larger swaths of color might end up being required to get there. I hope that makes some kind of sense?!?

    ReplyDelete