Sunday, August 2, 2026

Overmuch

I was deep in the process of making scrappy grab&piece blocks when it dawned on me that my whole purpose - making a quilt top in the style of my pieced quilt backs - was not going as planned. The problem was simple. Unlike my pieced quilt backs, where I used the finite amount of scraps left over from piecing the front, I had what felt like an unlimited amount of scraps to pull from my scrap basket. It totally changed the look of the blocks, and when I realized what I'd done, it felt too late to go back. So I continued on, using as many scraps as possible, and created Overmuch.


Despite the unintentional change of plans, I enjoyed making the scrappy blocks very much, and obviously, used a good amount of scraps. For the back, then, I did do my normal thing, using leftovers from the front, as well as all the greens I could find in my scrap basket. I used several smaller-sized greens from stash to fill in, and was quite pleased with the result.



For quilting, I used Aurifil 50wt variegated 3320 [Light Spring] and did some organic straight-line quilting, which I don't think I've done for quite a while, at least not on a quilt this large, 52" x 60". Then I bound it in Kona Wasabi. I'm not sure what came over me, especially since I hand-bind my quilts 99% of the time. But I was in the mood for machine-binding, so that's what I did. The result is quite possibly, the scrappiest quilt I've ever made.


Overmuch is the 5th scrappy quilt this summer, and believe it or not, I already have scraps pressed and sorted for #6. Might as well keep going while I'm in the mood.

9 comments:

  1. I find Overmuch absolutely delightful to view from the front and the back. I think the scraps took you where they wanted to go for this one, and I look forward to seeing what scrappy quilt #6 has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too find this quilt delightful and the name is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a definite knack for putting the scraps together to make them look just right, front and back! I love that little pop of red in the backing, and the quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like it. You have enough white to balance the more colorful scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Yvonne said, this quilt is delightful...both sides!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wasabi for the binding!! Great choice, it's one of my favorite Kona colors. A happy outcome, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The abundance of colours and shapes are so good in Overmuch they make me want to dig into scraps and make something fun like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it, Gale! Just letting the scraps speak for themselves might be overwhelming (aka overmuch) but still delightful.

      Delete
  8. "Overmuch" is the perfect name for this quilt. I adore what you did on the front, making it pretty much an anything goes sort of design. The more restrained design on the back is great too, with nice eye-resting places. I think you're using your scraps beautifully. Making scrap quilts is the exact thing you should be doing right now.

    ReplyDelete