I don't really remember why I set aside some purple scraps months ago, but I happened across them as I began my 5th scrap quilt of the summer, and decided I'd just keep adding to them, mission unknown. So by the time I was ready to work with them, I had quite a nice quantity and variety. I tried my best to identify them, and whether one piece, or much more, I know that at least Kona Eggplant, Purple, Hibiscus, Noble Purple, Tulip, Raisin, Orchid, Orchid Ice, Petunia, Morning Glory, Amethyst, and Lupine; and Cotton Couture Amethyst, Blackberry, and Purple are represented among them.
Pulling out this mix was timely, as I'd just read The Power of Purple: Depth, Ambiguity and the Color Between Warm and Cool by Carolina Oneto @carolina_oneto. What an interesting read! Besides calling purple "The Only Color With Two Temperatures," she shares a lot of its history, and ways to explore using it. My current project will probably not be quite so intentional, but it's good info to consider.
Meanwhile, my purple scraps are also timely, as I was reminded about the QuiltCon 2027 American Patchwork + Quilting Pick-A-Color Scrappy Challenge. "Eligible quilts will use at least 10 different fabrics and feature one overarching hue in the design." Well, my current pile of scraps definitely fit the bill there. So we'll see. I have already begun to piece the smaller scraps together, and randomly put them up on the design wall. IE. the photo is definitely not a final layout. But it's a start. I have a handful of quarter-circles yet to piece, and then I'll be left with a few bit larger pieces. My (hopeful) goal is to create something in the spirit of my recent pieced quilt backs. I know. I know. We'll see where the scraps take me. And wherever it is may or may not be submission-worthy. But I'm going to head in that direction and take it from there.


I love the addition of the improv quarter circles (I doubt that is a surprise)!! It looks like you have a really nice mix of values and hues, and the combination of piecing methods (improve straight piecing and curves) makes me excited to see how the conversation between the blocks evolves.
ReplyDelete