It surprised me how much I enjoyed piecing together this scrappy purple quilt top. It turned out only 39" x 33", and though I rotated it around in every orientation, I really like the way I first created it on the design wall, though wider than tall is not my norm.
Happily, it's my sixth scrappy quilt finish of the summer, and apparently 'fits' for the QuiltCon 2027 American Patchwork + Quilting Pick-A-Color Scrappy Challenge. So that's cool! Might as well enter it and see what happens. No matter, I'm super happy with it, and happy to have found a good use for all those scraps.
Of course, a pieced quilt back was in order. I had a few scraps from making the front to start with, and needed just a few small pieces from stash to bring it up to size.
For quilting, I went with an uneven grid using Aurifil 50wt 5003 [Wine], 2515 [Light Orchid], 4225 [Eggplant] and 4020 [Fuchsia]. I also had a 40wt 2570 [Aubergine], and considering it was a heavier weight than the rest, I just stitched a few lines in each direction, specifically stitching over areas of Kona Raisin, the darkest fabric.
Then, rather than a traditional binding, I went with a facing, using the Quilt Facing Tutorial by Audrey Esarey @cottonandbourbon. I really like the look of a facing on this particular quilt. Oh, and in trimming this quilt square, it shrunk just a tad, finishing at 38" x 33".
SO. Keeping it real here. Having this quilt finished has really encouraged me on. I find that what project I work on often depends on how much time or focus I have at a given time. So after machine-sewing the facing for plethora on Saturday afternoon, making a block for the Patchwork City project was a good next step forward. And Sunday morning, I was in the mood (yay!) to start remaking my block for my Bee Sewcial Courthouse Steps quilt, which I've been talking about doing for weeks. Hopefully I'll get back to that today, and move forward on that big project. AND today begins week two of our kitchen remodel, so I'll be back to making a block or few for the kitchen quilt each day. So at least I feel like I have some direction, and that's a good feeling for a Monday.








No comments:
Post a Comment