Monday, September 28, 2026

Elate

By now you likely know that I joined Carolyn Friedlander's quilt-along to make her Elate quilt pattern, using her new fabric collection, Memento. And I have to say, working with those new CF fabrics was just a delight. The trio of blocks comprising the quilt design were quick and easy to piece, and I really liked how they were designed to mix together in a final layout.


There were cut-offs from making all the blocks, so of course, they were the beginning of a pieced quilt back. Luckily, a few years ago, I'd stashed several yards of Carolyn's Architextures Ledger, as I couldn't see my quilting world without it. It was bittersweet to use most of it here, but then again, it felt pretty perfect.


I went easy with the quilting by doing a 2" grid with Aurifil 50wt 2479 [Medium Orchid] from Carolyn's Color Pop collection. A unique choice, I know, but it just felt fun.


It was  a bit difficult when it came time to choose a binding, but I finally settled on the Memento print, Explore in Altitude. And, as expected, my Elate finished at 60" x 72", a nice generous lap quilt.



Elate was a nice bit of precision piecing after all the improv I've been doing, but I was reminded that I enjoy piecing blocks a lot more than I do putting rows and columns together. But it was all worth it to use that Memento, and I was again in awe of Carolyn's sense of color and pattern. I enjoyed working with those fabrics very much, and I'm happy to have a quilt just full of them.


1 comment: