Friday, November 23, 2012

Ruby Star Wrapping :: The Melody-Didn't-Mean-to-Make-It Tote

Apparently, this Ruby Star Wrapping pattern was an accident, created unexpectedly while designing a different project. But considering my fondness for fabric bags, it was one project in the book I needed to try. I pulled out some pretty special fabrics - my first Anna Maria Horner Field Study for the main bag fabric, Lizzy House jewels for the accent, and a new favorite, Dear Stella Diamond Dots for the lining.
Please don't get me wrong - this bag turned out great, and I very well will be making it again. But I struggled with just a few details. One being the contrasting top - it was shown in the book's photo, and one of the details I really liked about it, but specific directions weren't given, just the measurement of this piece. Because of this, I think, my batting didn't go to the top of the focus fabric. Maybe this was the intent, but it seemed a little odd. Also, adding the circle bottom of the bag was in no way an exact science. It confused me for a bit, but it seemed just fine in the end.

Meanwhile, I loved the suggested random quilting - just some angled lines here and there. And the use of the batt gives the bag a really nice hand. One little warning - I'll tell you up front there are buttonholes involved! I shortcut and only put in one as I was having, uh, issues. But I think it'll work just fine. Oh, and do know that this is a good size bag - 10" wide at the bottom x 18" tall. It'll hold serious stuff!

Ruby Star Wrap-Along
Check out Lucky Lucille for her take on this project. Linking up with the Ruby Star Wrap-Along,  Finish it Up Friday, and the Ruby Star Wrapping Contest.

14 comments:

  1. Hmmmm buttonholes : /
    Gorgeous bag Debbie. Are you stuffed with turkey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look great! I like the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful, Debbie. I love the fabric you chose -- those butterflies really stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The butterflies are a real feature! Buttonholes- they can make or break a project, can't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you can safely say that it was a happy accident! Nice bag!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out beautiful Debbie That AMH is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out great! I love that fabric. But it sounds like you might stick with Jeni's pattern, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sure shows off the butterfly fabric well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the bag! Hmmm, not crazy about buttonholes, but will do them if I have to. The butterfly fabric is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. whoa! big bag! haha cute fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you were able to figure out the bag. . I don't know if I need another bag so I doubt I'll tackle this one. ha! Still the finish product is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well it's a very pretty accident whatever!

    ReplyDelete