Thursday, January 31, 2013

An Alternate Ending

So after working on a pouch for the Triple-Zip Along a couple of days ago, I left you with this. 
If anything, it's the finish of the tutorial that's a little, shall we say, sketchy? When writing it, this last step was really hard to photograph. So I took a couple more shots this time.

Reach in through the main lining fabric fold and turn the pouch inside out, so all you see is the main lining, right side out. Don't forget to reach in and unzip the main zipper. Now work on one side edge of the pouch at a time. Line up edges, pushing main lining out of the way as best you can. Pin edges together, and starting from bottom, stitch up the side of the pouch, removing pins as you go and going up as far as you can. Repeat for second side.
Now bring the lining back where you can work on it, pushing the seam you just sewed into the pouch, out of the way. Press edges of lining in 1/4", pin sides together, and starting from bottom, stitch up the side of the pouch close to the edge, removing pins as you go and going up as far as you can. Repeat for other side.
Turn pouch inside out through open main zipper, pushing out corners to shape. Press edges with your iron for a clean finished look.

Except even though I 'get' my method, and it works fine for me, my friend Marci of Marci Girl Designs came up with an alternate method that I think will be more straight-forward for many of you. And though others hinted at "turning through the main lining," Marci graciously documented each step with terrific photos, and yes, I think you should give her method a try. In fact I did on this pouch, and it worked great.
Though I didn't catch that I should have sewn just 'up to' the last zipper, not clear on over. If I had, I wouldn't have ended up with rounded corners. So do yourself a favor and check out Marci's Alternate Ending Tutorial and you'll see what I mean. She explains it all so well, and I'm confident you'll have a finish you'll be pleased with. "Live and learn" they say. I'm happy to do both.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Debbie! I'll be referring to this when I get there. Maybe today....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of like the rounded edges too. Marci did a great job, as did you with all the photos. I hope to make another one of these over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though there were no photos at this point in your tutorial, I got it from the verbal description. So, you instructions were quite clear. It was sort of awkward to sew the sides and lining together. I found pressing the lining pieces in 1/4" really challenging for some reason. Any tips on that? It's a really fun project, and thanks again for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Debbie for letting me share in this process and be "part" of a great tutorial. Your new ending photos do make it a lot clearer, though I can see that they were difficult to take!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just so you know. that triple zip pouch would match my purse perfectly! i love that dear stella line. the heart kills me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally I finished my triple zip pouch, in time I just uploaded the photos to the Flickr group, and I was admiring all the beautiful creations. Debbie thanks for the instructions, all the explanations were very clear. I blogged about this project on my blog, the link is : http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/2013/02/the-triple-zip-pouch.html

    I'm glad I was able to participate in this sew along, because last year, I left eager to participate but I didn't.
    Have a nice day!
    Marisa from
    http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete