Friday, February 8, 2013

A Little Faith

Yes, I'm off on a quilting retreat, but wanted to share this post so it doesn't get forgotten in the busyness of the next week. After about 18 months as a stitcher in the FAITH circle of do.Good Stitches, I was asked to step up and become a quilter. A little scary, but I think I'm finally up to the challenge. February is my first month to choose a project for our circle, and I chose a quilt I've been wanting to make for quite some time - a solid half-square triangle quilt. The quilts below were my inspiration . . .
a quilt for harry.



HST Festival

hst love done

I just really love those quilt. The colors I chose for ours were medium gray, white, and a variety of cool colors. Each circle member is being asked to make two 18 1/2" blocks, each made up of four 9 1/2" hst blocks. Each large block could be put together in a variety of way.



Here's a little mosaic of what four blocks might look like together, even though I'll mix my blocks up with those of my circle mates for the final layout.
I'm really excited with this quilt plan - something somewhat simple for my first month as quilter, but still a quilt  that should have a nice visual impact.

Back to the previously scheduled retreat . . .

14 comments:

  1. I've loved this design for a long time. I'm a quilter too in DGS and I was nervous at first but I just reminded myself that there are no quilt police and the recipients won't noticed an off stitch here or there. You'll be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to make one of those quilts, too, but trimming all those HSTs is putting me off. Fabulous idea to make it a DGS quilt! This one should be fabulous! And yay for becoming a quilter, too. It is a little intimidating at first, but it's always fun in the end. You'll do great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic. You'll do great and you'll be hooked for life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a fantastic plan! Do the members use their own stash? That will be a huge variety! And you'll be fine as a quilter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one or two of those types of quilts pinned. I love how they look - not sure I could muster the courage to make that many HSTs on my own though! So yay for bees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be lovely Debbie. And if you choose, straight line quilting would do the trick ; )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this looks like a great idea for a do good stitches quilt, I can't wait to see how it turns out! I have loved being a quilter in my circle, it is so fun to get to work on a quilt where I wouldn't necessarily want to piece all of those blocks :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's going to be stunning Debbie - I have one of these quilts on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its gorgeous, I am a Quilter in March, can I borrow the idea??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those quilts are stunning. I never would have imagined that solid half square triangles could create so much visual interest. I can't wait to see how yours turns out! Thanks for sharing.

    -Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love them - great job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is going to be a gorgeous quilt debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the effect of the randomly angled HSTs and the colour play in these

    ReplyDelete
  14. Got to love HST's....love the colour choice too.

    ReplyDelete