Thursday, February 14, 2013

Mod Angles Repeat

Just a little redo today, as each Finish-A-Long finish deserves its own post. This cushion was pretty quick, considering I already had all the  Double Flip HSTs pieced. I did some easy-going organic straight-line quilting - still one of my favorite quilting treatments, and I love it on this 'mod' cushion.
For the back, I pieced together what little Chicopee I had left. The lapped zipper technique from house on hill road (under that flap) is about as easy a zip installation as there is.
I don't remember where I got the idea for the 'bound' finish for the edges, but I love this method of finishing a cushion. Here's a pic from the original tutorial
Basically, you quilt the front, install the zipper in the back, then place the front and back wrong sides together. Machine stitch the binding around the edges, just like any mini quilt, then turn to the back and hand-stitch. (Though I bet you could machine-stitch the binding, if that's your preference.) Anyway, no turning inside out, and it makes a nice neat 'flange' that I really like. Try it. I think you'll like it!

This project is on my 2013 Finish-A-Long, Q1 list.

15 comments:

  1. I love this cushion! The fabric choice makes it SO striking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh tempted. You made that sound spectacularly easy !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a binding on a pillow too. Congrats on another finish

    ReplyDelete
  4. An absolutely gorgeous pillow!! LOVE the colors!~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I am working on a pillow right now and was debating whether I wanted to bind it or just flip it inside out, I think I will bind it after seeing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I truly HEART this and want to make one each for my daughters and daughter-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking great, love the colour on the back

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous pillow - such beautiful colours and fabrics! I do the binding the same way too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, this is fabulous! I agree, the binding on pillows is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's beautiful Debbie - some Chicopee just arrived here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on another finish! The pillow is beautiful. When I make them that way I do zig zag the front and back together first before I stitch the binding on although that is probably not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea for finishing a pillow! Please help me remember it, K?

    ReplyDelete