Thursday, November 13, 2014

It's Only Fabric

Photography has been the hold up with this post. Well, that and the weather. I finished my latest quilt earlier in the week, so obviously I wanted to take photos. But it was too dark when I got home from work, so I took some inside the house. So-so.
The next day, it was beautiful when I got off work, so I texted hubby, and asked him to meet me "at the blue wall" with the camera and the quilt. (More on that in another post.) Great idea except guess who forgot to put the camera card back in the camera after downloading that first set of photos? So cell phone photos it was. Ho-hum.
Enough already. Time to just put it out there, for better or worse. But let’s back up just a bit….

When Krista/Poppyprint'sChess on the Steps” showed up as the MQG quilt of the month in September, I was so taken with it. Soon after Leanne/shecanquilt showed off her All the Colours, and I was wow-ed again. I had to try that "Improv Under the Influence" technique. I dug into my stash for some solid charm squares and sewed and cut until I had a conglomeration of color, approximately 25"x35". Now what?
Well, I chose to trim it up into a nice square rectangle, and add uneven borders - white, gray, and black.
It's at this point where things went really crazy. I got an idea, and honestly, I just couldn't let it go. And finally, I went ahead and did the unthinkable. With a feeble battle cry of "It's only fabric!", I cut the whole thing in half.
I know I shocked a few folks on Instagram. I think I maybe even shocked myself a little. But I just had to see where else this project could take me. It took me to a moment in time where a name for this quilt materialized. I'm calling it Striped Strip.
Whoa. At this point I loved it and doubted it all at the same time. Moving forward, though, I made a quick fat quarter quilt back and went on to quilt the dickens out of it.
For those that like such details, here's the scoop on the fabric and thread:
As you can see, I did some random matchstick quilting everywhere but the stripe. For that, I borrowed daughter dear's perle cotton and did some straightish lines in a variety of colors.

Whew. 48"x52" of who knows what. But it sure was fun.


Linking up with Finish It Up Friday.

29 comments:

  1. Wow Debbie -- it was pretty before, but that strippy stripe gives it a dynamism that takes it to a whole new level. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is gorgeous! I wish I could be as courageous as you and make such a bold and stunning quilt! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I love the process and technique as much as I love the FUN quilt! You are so right- it's only fabric! But you have made this very special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your enthusiasm for quilting. And your gutsy attitude! Too often we forget (and I think it has to do with the price of fabric today) that it is "only" fabric and that there is always more of it. Thanks for making quilting so real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again you have created something really clever and outstanding. Kudos for "Just Doing It" and cutting it in half and adding that striped center. I love that all the levels of fabric are not square, just a little bit off square. Really love it. I think it should be called Tipsy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, I love this. Thank you for the inspiration. I really am going to follow your lead and do my version of an Improv quilt with your influence!!! I love following you on IG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are fearless, my friend! Congratulations on a spectacular finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply stunning! And like Tina said Fearless! It really paid off but only because you have a talent for making it work. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, this is fabulous. I love it love it love it! I have wanted to play since the court house step post too. You know the saying no guts no glory so I am so glad you sliced and stripped!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! good for you for following your instincts. I like how the stripe works with the borders.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this!!! Great job Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Debbie! You are really so talented! This is amazing quilt and your brave idea to cut it half and add that stipy fabric in the middle was unexpected and made this quilt piece of art! Without being brave and trying we can't create something Special and unique. Quilting looks also fantastic! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  13. Email from my friend, Linda...
    Love your Striped Strip quilt. Talk about inspired and following your muse! Hope you also enter this into a show. It's definitely another winner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. First of all, I am allergic to solids. I've been working on this allergy for a while and have collected bits and pieces of solids. To just sit in my bin.... So with that said, I adore this quilt. The center stripe just takes it over the top. Maybe I need to copy you... Great great great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Why it's 48"x52" of AWESOME of course! Well done on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liking seeing how you just cut it! I think my cuts were on a much smaller scale than yours! The neutral border and stripe really brings out the colors. I'd love to try matchstick quilting but I'm afraid of how long it'll take.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really, really like this quilt. The colors are amazing and the strip in the center is great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quilt the dickens!
    Love that! And the quilt! Wonderful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cool quilt.....and didn't you have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this one, it is just fantastic. I hope you enter it in some of the shows. That strip and then the hand quilting detail are just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's fabulous and the quilting is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is even more beautiful in person! Do you plan to hang it up Debbie?

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is just amazing Debbie - I love how you just experimented and took a huge risk by cutting it in half - but it is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really love this quilt ESPECIALLY the bold slash and insert-males the quilt for me. Thanks for sharing your process

    Hillary

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's been fun to see this quilt progress and I just love the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love what you did with this quilt. I'm anxious to try my hand at Kristas pattern too

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this, and the striped centre strip really makes it!

    ReplyDelete