Thursday, November 20, 2014

Pillow Fight!

Whenever I join  a swap like The Great Pillow Fight Holiday Edition, I can't help but be a little nervous. Even with clues, it's hard to know if what you come up with will suit your partner. For me, there's always alot of hemming and hawing, but eventually one just has to jump in and start making.

With a request for cherry reds, lime/chartreuse greens with pops of aqua or ice blue, here was my first stash pull.
Of course, once I came to a decision on the pattern, some of the prints had to go, and a holiday text and stripe were pulled in.
The pattern chosen, Ice/Fire Star by Sew What Sherlock? was a big (24") paper-pieced beauty, and I won't lie, it challenged me. Let's just say, my trusty seam ripper kept me company throughout, but the more I pieced, the more I liked it.
For quilting, I went with a simple grid using Aurifil 50wt #2021 (Natural White). I like the calm texture it gave the busy design.

For the back of pillow, I went out on a limb based on my partner's comment, "I love yetis." Honest truth, I had to ask daughter dear what a yeti was! And then when I discovered Betty The Yeti Patch Green by Robert Kaufman Flannel on Etsy, I couldn't resist using it for the back.
I hadn't sewn with much flannel, but I did know prewashing it was important. After a quick Instagram poll, I opted for an invisible zipper, and the tutorial by Sew Katie Did made it pretty matter of fact.

Wanting to add a fun little extra to my swap package, I couldn't resist a soft and silly yeti mug rug.
My partner, Whitney/whitney (the peacock tree) received my package today - yay! And I can breathe a sigh of relief that my part's done, while I wait to see what comes my way . . .

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday.

16 comments:

  1. It is such a lovely pillow. What a great find for the backing fabric!

    Totally know what you mean about being nervous. I spend hours stressing over fabrics colours and patterns!!! Just hoping they will like what I choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really used your talents to put together a beautiful item that incorporates all her loves! I love that Yeti fabric - I have another version of it and it just makes me smile. I don't have any kids but it's for the kid in ME! Love that you made the little mug rug too. She's a lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a really beautiful pillow! Thr colors fit perfectly. First I thought "Why did she take this back?" But knowing the story behind, it is just great. :-)
    Greetings, Rike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pillow is beautiful! Love those pretty fabrics and all the thought you put into using them. I bet she hugs this pillow forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun, I sure love the front.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Pillow, the quilting is perfect. Love the backing to pieces. The mug rug was a terrific addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the paper pieced block. Very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on tying together all those colors in that theme. I think the block is beautiful, and no doubt it was a challenge--Wow! look at all those pieces and those angles! But it turned out to be a beauty, complete with fun backing (and mug rug). Score one for you!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is wonderful, Debbie! Amazed at the paper piecing prowess this involved and totally smitten with that backing. So cute! Your swap partner will be over the moon with this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous pillow - what a great pattern and wonderful choice of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky partner to have received such a beautiful pillow and bonus mug rug! You and your seam ripper did a masterful job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pillow and then when I read who your partner was it all clicked - spot on! Perfect quilting to enhance the design.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that pillow and mug rug - such a lovely gift! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your pillow and mug rug! Great piecing, adorable back! Nice work Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully done! That cross hatch quilting really adds just the right finish :) Love the sweet Christmas fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a fab cushion. I love the design and the fabrics are perfect. That yeti fabric is so funny, I'm sure she'll love it!

    ReplyDelete