Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Fat Quarter Quilt Back

Back in September, I shared 8 Modern Ways to Back a Quilt over on Sew, Mama, Sew and I'm kind of surprised that while curating that collection of tutorials, I never once came across one like I made for my current quilting project. Now I'll be the first to admit that in the process of modernizing my stash over the last few years, I have collected plenty of fat quarters. Enough, in fact, to make an easy scrappy backing for just about any quilt.
Apparently not all fat quarters are made equal, so I had to trim mine to the same size, 16.5" x 18". This isn't rocket-science, to be sure. Just a reminder how easy it can be to make a relatively simple quilt back at a moment's notice. And considering the easiest quilt backing of all time (to me) is one made from one length of fabric, this must surely be the second.

Using 12 fat quarters, this quilt back measured 53" x 64.5".

9 comments:

  1. Why had I never considered doing this?!?! I love a pieced back but always start with yardage and added to it. You're a genius and I'm feeling a bit stoopid! *duur*

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea! This never occurred to me, either. Fat quarters often frustrate me, and I don't buy that many anymore (usually buy 1/4 or 1/2 yards now), but I have lots to use up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, brilliant way to utilize my stash of FQs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love, love, love!!! Great idea, this is such a fantastic quilt back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. I agree with Lynz. Duh. What a great way to use fat quarters and have a fantastic backing! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And there you have it! Looks great and uses the stash

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it, and I should do this too. I have been making quilt backs from yard and half yard cuts, in the same manner. It is nice to see big pieces of fabrics and the back is a perfect place for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As silly as it is..I have never thought about using FQ as backing before. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this type of quilt back looks utterly fantastic! I love how you stuck with the neutral colors, I think I'm going to have to do this more often!

    ReplyDelete