Friday, February 15, 2019

Snaps


It's been over six years since I hosted the *Picture-Perfect* Polaroid Block Swap. I had seen Karen/CapitolaQuilter's post on Polaroid blocks a few days before and was quite smitten with them. But realizing my stash (at that time!) didn't really have the fabric needed for a good variety of Polaroids, I did what any of you might have done, I'm sure. I started a swap! Just two months later, the swap came to a close after 114 swappers from all over the world swapped 3293(!) blocks, and in the end, I had 205 of them for my own use. So of course I made a quilt! Actually, I enlisted the help of the Always Bee Learning bee, sending them each nine Polaroids to puzzle into a block for me.


Fast forward, and even after I mailed off 50 in a giveaway, believe it or not, I still had a handful left. I started in on another quilt, using Yvonne/@quilting JETgirl's On a Slope pattern, which just happened to be the winner in a Cirrus Solids Block Challenge. Apparently I didn't get too far, as I just came across the blocks which I'd begun in 2015. Oops! Purely for sentimental reasons, these needed to be made into something... anything. So basically I just pieced the framed blocks into rows, changing the original design intent, of course, but sometimes time changes things.


After adding  borders (shocker!), I went to my stash to choose a backing, and found something I remembered purchasing years ago for just such a purpose - a length of Objects by Robert Kaufman. Perfect, no?!


Quilting was a bit of a quandary and even harder to photograph. There were basically three components.... the gray Xs in the side framing, done in gray thread, then a black angled diamond around each Polaroid....


And on the sides, both gray and black echoed triangles to mimic the HRTs on the sides of each Polaroid.


And though I contemplated a matched binding, I instead went with a continuous binding of Michael Miller Mirror Ball Dots. Nice they could escape the ole stash and be used!


Soooo.... here's to sentimentality for the win. I think that's the end of the Polaroids for me. But to this day, those little snapshots evoke such fond memories! 

7 comments:

  1. What a great way to finish off these memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still change my Polaroid calendar every month....I made twelve mini quilts like pages of a calendar, and the little fussy cut pictures hold special memories for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the setting you choose for the last blocks. It adds so much more interest. I did a polaroid swap a couple few years ago but never used the blocks. I think I ended up giving them away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our guild did a polaroid swap last year but I didn't participate. They are so fun though. I can see making one someday as an I Spy . . . maybe once I have grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, I think that tea cup on the bottom right was from me. I still have not made my polaroid blocks into anything, but this was such a fun swap! Thanks for sharing this inspiring finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great quilt to finish the last blocks and keep/relive the memories. And what an amazing quilting. I don't want to count how many starts and stops you had to burry... Enjoy your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to use up those last few blocks!

    ReplyDelete