Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Begonia

When you work on a quilt bit by bit, month by month, all year long, there is a really big sigh when it's done. That said, my Seattle MQG mystery block-of-the-month quilt is no longer a work-in-progress. sigh....


The pattern is by Stefanie Satterwhite, and the monthly instructions are on the Seattle MQG blog. Good news, Stefanie's Begonia pattern will be out soon also, which has a few bonus features, if you'd like to make your own. It's all about half-square triangles, obviously, and Stefanie is a master with them. Be sure and check out her other designs.


For my own Begonia, I chose mostly solids, with just two Carolyn Friedlander prints. I must say, having a swatch card to reference throughout the year made all the difference in keeping things organized.


The backing was pieced from all the project leftovers, plus just a couple stash finds to bring it up to size. [Note that when we took it out for a photo-shoot yesterday, we tried an idea Zak Foster had posted a while back. Well, our haphazard version of his idea. Where Zak had made canvas pockets and basted them to the top corners of the quilt, we actually used push-pins on the front of the quilt, pushing through to a couple of pieces of wood. It definitely worked - and well - put I'm planning on pockets the next time around.]


The finished quilt is 78" square, with a 3" border all around the main design. For quilting, I did an orange peel design, which worked really well with all of the HSTs and squares... ie. very little marking.


For thread, I struggled, as I didn't [think] I had anything that would suit, and I debated endlessly over dark to match the background, or lighter, though I was worried how that would look on the background. When I happened across my old thread stash (pre-Aurifil days), I found two spools - a Madeira Aerofil #8790 [Midnight Teal Green], which just happened to be 100% polyester. I used it anyway, and it was a perfect match to the Kona Everglade background. BUT, I ran out about three-quarters through. So I switched to the second spool, a Sulky variegated 30wt, #733-4021 [Truly Teal], which was my more normal 100% cotton. So did I do the unthinkable, mixing not only colors of thread, but fiber content? Time will tell, but I'm betting it will all be ok. Both blend in so well, I really doubt anyone will notice.


So, Begonia is done and I'm pleased as can be. 

Here's a list of each month's progress, if you're interested:

This project is on my #2020FALQ1List.

14 comments:

  1. What an excellent quilt holding option - adding the corner sleeves will certainly help but this is good to know as I have a quilt that I would like to re-photograph soon and I bet push pins will work well enough for me! The backing really shows off the quilting nicely, and I bet the difference in threads won't be noticeable or a problem at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous! I have so enjoyed your posts on this quilt growing and growing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your color choices are spot on - have said it before, but will repeat, you have done a masterful job on this one - a beautiful quilt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful quilt! Congratulations.
    Your quilting is a perfect match, not too busy or heavy. And using a swatch card is a good tip.
    I was wondering how that big quilt was being held up so well, now I know, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful finish and good work Joe on the quilt holding! You're lucky to have such an awesome assistant

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a graphic and striking design. It looks great with the colour palette you chose! I bet it would look awesome on a bed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just so beautiful. Isn't it a wonderful sigh, though, when the year ends and you have a gorgeous flimsy to show for those months of working.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a stunning quilt and I love the colours you've used. What a brilliant quilt holding set-up you have your quilt-helper using!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The solids show off the pattern wonderfully. I'm enjoy seeing colour combinations that I wouldn't have necessarily chosen myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loooove the quilt holding idea! And the picture of that is so funny :) And that first picture of your gorgeous quilt in front of "the castle". Well at least high-end estate and just worthy of your quilt ;) xo Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful finish ~ love how your quilt pops against the bricks. Very patient quilt holder too, I doubt my hubby would be seen out in public holding up a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is lovely. I bet it’s endlessly fascinating to look at it and see different patterns among the colours and shades. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely gorgeous and I love the quilting. I totally understand the "sigh" at the end of projects like this one... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the colours on this quilt and thanks for sharing the tip for photographing quilts - that is on my 2020 list.

    ReplyDelete