Friday, October 23, 2020

Summer Is So Over

The last remnant of summer for me was the Summer Sampler quilt project I'd worked on for literally months. Begun back in May with the fabric pull, week by week I sewed a new block. After some fun with the unique (to me) sashing, I finally had a quilt top in September. And now, thankfully, in the midst of Autumn, I have a finished Summer Sampler 2020 quilt. It feels good.

 
I pieced the quilt back taking inspiration from the Summer Sampler "Trellis" block designed by Malka Dubrawsky/@stitchindye. Can you see it on the front there? Most of the fabrics, but not all, were repeats from the quilt front, but all the prints at least were by Carolyn Friedlander. You know, staying with the theme.

Quilting was done in an angled 2" grid using Aurifil 50wt #2021 [Natural White]. Not my norm, but this time all lines were marked with my trusty hera marker, and then I stitched just off of the markings. The result is a simple diamond design that 'fits' with many of the quilt blocks. It's not as dense as I sometimes go, but then again, a 1" grid seemed more than it (or I) needed. 

For binding, the only fabric I had enough of from my Summer Sampler stash was the Essex Yarn Dye Homespun in Silver, and I think it works OK! For sure it has a great texture, and though I thought it might be a little thick for the binding, it actually felt and sewed great. Honestly, it got used very little in the quilt front, so I was happy to let it shine in the binding.

The finish measures 60" square, considerably smaller than the Summer Samplers made in the last two years, though in looking back, not quite as small as the original (2011!). Whatever, as I expected, I love the finish with that sashing! I like gave up sashing so many years ago, and though I confess I didn't necessary enjoy the process, I definitely am pleased with what it added to my quilt block layout. So yes, all is definitely good.

9 comments:

  1. The sashing really makes the color and design of your blocks sing!
    Fabulous finish Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I really like the essex for the binding, it does drape and fold so nicely that I bet it was pretty lovely to work with. Congratulations on the finish, it was a treat to watch it come together for you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a beautiful quilt as always! have you done all of the summer samplers? I really love the back

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, Debbie, your Summer Sampler quilt turned out marvelous. It’s full of great blocks that blend and mix so well. None standing out more than another, which happens a lot with color tone choices for so many. The unique sashing also adds its bit of design without screaming “I’m sashing!” I always seem to be odd man out when someone asks sashing or no sashing?...and I say no sashing. Your binding choice is perfect to add its spot in the quilt design. It’s a light framing that blends and mixes well with the overall design and fabrics. Then there’s the back that continues your awesome blend and mix. This is a beautifully designed quilt. Perfect quilting that also adds to your design instead of overwhelming the fabrics. Very well done! I love your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your finish! And you are right, that sashing is for sure unique. I am also in love with your fun backing :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great finish Debbie! I love the sashing and the backing too! I agree, sometimes a quilt does not need dense quilting! I think the softer look suits the delicate peach, grey and white tones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful finish! The colours are so calming and I love a good grid. I've often been tempted by the Summer Sampler but never hit the buy button. Your version is definitely making me re-think that decision. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this finish and how you made the backing like one of the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admire your dedication to each year's Summer Sampler, and am impressed that you've already finished the 2020 quilt! You selected great colors, and I agree that your machine quilting stitches are just the right width apart. I hope you put this beauty to good use.

    ReplyDelete