Tuesday, February 25, 2020

A Summer Sampler Finish!

Well this one's been a process that's for sure! Begun last spring, it was a block a week for months, a break before the blocks came together into a top, and then several apprehensive weeks before I finally got to the finishing details.



There was a pieced back, which I'll share in a future post, and then the big dilemma of quilting design. At 80" x 92", it was large enough to make me nervous, so I finally settled on a simple freehand curve and then echo-quilted from there at 1" intervals. Using Aurifil 50wt #2600 (light gray) was perfect over all the pieced blocks and provided a pretty subtle contrast on the dark blue. Unfortunately the quilting lines don't show that great in my photos, but the golden curve shown below is a decent approximation of my first pass across the quilt, done freehand with my hera marker prior to quilting. 


To keep it as unnoticeable as possible, I bound the quilt in Kona Storm to match the background and let the circles be the focus.


So I can't tell you how fantastic it feels to have this third long-term project completed! Having finished two others since 2020 began, I'm finally feeling like I'm close to being free to do some random sewing. Yay!


6 comments:

  1. Wow! I've never commented on your blog before (lurker) but had to for this quilt, it is stunning! Your background fabric really shows off the circle blocks. It looks like it was very difficult to piece the top together, is it appliqued or curved piecing? Love the quilting also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the setting of this quilt! well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely is this,Debbie. A beautiful finish and quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your quilt design concept! So great. And the pictures are awesome too. Congrats on finishing this beautiful quilt. Enjoy! xo Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I really love the colors you choose for these blocks. It's an amazing finish...Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The freehand curve is a great choice for quilting this; it looks great. Congratulations on the big finish! Is this bound for a bed or to be a lap quilt or...?

    ReplyDelete