Monday, March 15, 2021

A Storm Story

My latest finish won't resonate with all of you and that's ok! I was given a unique opportunity so I took it; and since the subject IS a quilt, I think you probably can appreciate it for that at least.

So over the last several months, the church I work at has been inviting artists in our community to share artwork inspired by the Sunday's texts. The subsequent art has been a focal point, used on bulletin covers and other communication pieces for that week. I was asked to participate and was happy to do so. My assignment? ....to create a piece for next Sunday, when the text will be about Jesus calming the storm. Maybe some of you know it.


I'm calling this piece 'A Storm Story,' and in it I tried to express the progression of a storm, reflecting that via fabric choices, improvisational piecing, as well as quilting design(s) and Aurifil 50wt thread colors. 

At the bottom, the storm is dark and raging, full of chaos. I included black with the dark blues, and I incorporated more chaotic, intense quilting - both organic straight-line and echoing of shapes - and black & gray-blue threads - #2692 [Black] and #1158 [Medium Grey]The shark-like wedges were my attempt at waves, so hopefully you can 'see' that in them. 


The middle section is less chaotic and frightening - more medium tone fabrics, with a couple of greens  included; I did organic straight-line quilting with gray-blue & bright blue threads - #1158 [Medium Grey] and #1125 [Medium Teal].


And finally, in the top portion I tried to convey the calm and stillness when "The sea became smooth as glass." [The Message] I used much lighter blues, including an Essex Yarn Dyed Metallic, then straight matchstick-quilted with mostly light blue thread #2715 [Robin's Egg], and just a few lines of the teal. I added a faced binding, and the little quilt finished at 15" x 24".


This was a really unique opportunity and process for me, as I don't often reflect such personal and specific themes in my work. But I also appreciated the chance, so thanks for being open to my sharing it here. 

22 comments:

  1. A good interpretation of calming the storm, Lovely piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an interesting and personal piece, in as much as we all envision things differently in our mind's eye. And yet there are universal images for humankind that make this accessible, even if one is not familiar with the passage. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how even your quilting lines add to the dissonance and resolution of the story with this piece. I'm also curious what other mediums people are using when they tackle the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just as the storms of life begin to ebb and calm as we turn our eyes and hearts heavenward. Beautiful rendering, thank you for sharing this very personal, yet universal quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did an amazing job! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a beauty. The calming storm theme should also appeal to those without a religious bent, and I am speaking for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it portrays the story perfectly! what a wonderful idea the church had. is there a place to see all of the artwork?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your vision for this quilt is exactly how I saw it before even reading your story of its making. I might not have know your exact story but I could see it was a story to do with calm and chaotic. Having artists create a piece that takes words and puts them into a visual artwork gives the Sunday texts a personal impact and a more thought provoking presence. Well done Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'Sharing art work inspired by the Sunday text,' That is a great idea and opportunity, I agree.
    Your Stormy Story communicates the storm giving way to calm beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your storm quilt is a great representation of calming the storm. I like the symbolism in it. What a great idea to use the art talents of people to illustrate the texts each Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful piece! I also love the Whale-Sharks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very lovely and thought provoking. I think it does a great job of sharing the Bible story. God is the originator of creativity, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's absolutely fantastic, Debbie! I think it's wonderful that you could express a Biblical image this way. Your thought process for the design is spot-on, with each shape and color change a reflection (pun intended) of the changes in the water. Love the shark-like looking waves; they're dangerous! What a nice way for your church to reach out to artisans - and a great opportunity for the artisan! That's very special. This should be a bulletin cover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is perfect as a piece for interpreting the Calming the Storm. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful interpretation of the text Debbie. And I could definitely see the “waves” in the bottom section. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this quilt which is so filled with meaning. What a beautiful expression of this passage from Scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very, very nice interpratation of a favorite Bible story.

    ReplyDelete