Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Atypical

So I finished my first project begun at QuiltCon Together. It's from Improv Triangles with Maria Shell. Though I've tried quiet a few techniques from Maria's book, Improv Patchwork, I had yet to dabble with either the 'flying loon' triangle blocks or 'short row' stripes. Happily, they were enjoyable to make and I really liked them together.

There was another triangle block Maria taught us in class - that pinwheel-ish block there in the middle, below. It turned out ok, but I didn't like it nearly as well as my original triangles, so this large block became a focal on the quilt back. As you can see, I pieced together scraps from my fabric pull for the pieced back, and included some left-over triangles and stripes, which worked out great.

For quilting, I settled on an equilateral triangle grid that I found in Jacquie Gering's Walk book, and quilted using Aurifil 50wt #2021 (Natural White). Even though my pieced triangles aren't equilateral, I think the overall design works well.


The quilt finished at 27" x 30", bound in a solid black; and still, one of my favorite things about it is its atypical rainbow palette + neutrals. I'll definitely consider going that route on a future project as it resulted in such a fun and interesting color combination.

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting this one done and not letting it linger! Adding the pinwheel as the start of your pieced back was a great way to keep all the class lessons together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your triangle grid quilting works great! Triangles and short stacks are classic and your color choices have good contrast, super finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the colors are great and the quilting fits perfectly! looks like it was a fun class

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the quilting! and the fact that you got it completed! My class samples usually sit for quite awhile...but this does remind me that I have 2 class samples- very small- that I need to make into project bags. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this color palette, so many different colors but they all go together so well. The quilting is a nice finish to the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! The pieced back is just stunning and you are right - the quilted triangles really work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one is another favorite! Great colors, and I'm a fan of triangles. Looks like it was a good workshop... another one to add to my list of workshops I'd like to take with Maria. I just can't do them back-to-back, as they're very intense for me. I'm learning I need breathers between workshops that challenge my too-traditional design sense. Anyway, I adore what you made. The quilting shapes are a nice, subtle contrast to the pieced triangles.

    ReplyDelete