Thursday, March 25, 2021

Colorplay

Happily, I got a work-in-progress off the design wall, my project from the QuiltCon Together class Color Interplay with Maritza Soto. The finish is just 18" x 19", but it was a fun one to pull together. I began with a complimentary color palette - a couple of greens + several reds, and in retrospect, I remember the navy not being in my original fabric pull, but added during class to add that 'pop' we hear so much about. 

For quilting, whether it was a perfect choice for this particular project or not, I really wanted to use the Dimensional Arrows design from Jacquie Gering's Walk 2.0 book, one of her "Sashiko-Inspired Designs." I had recently used it on a very small project and really enjoyed the execution, so I was eager to try it again. There was a little internal debate, but I settled on Aurifil 50wt #2250 [Red] for thread, which in the end, I really love.

I kept things simple and bound it with Kona Rich Red.


Yeah, it's small, but still a good reminder of things we talked about in the class, and ties up the loose end on projects begun during QuiltCon. So moving on down the list!

7 comments:

  1. Hooray for finishing up projects begun during QuiltCon! The change in value you have for the reds and greens keeps things really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the navy blue pop! and the quilting. I need to get the walk2 book, love the first one so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it that you take time to play and to explore. The addition of the navy here for the “pop” really works. And thanks to your lead, I’ve got both WALK books. It is so fun to see another one of the designs executed here. The red thread works well too. Thanks so much for sharing. I look forward to all of your blog posts. Will be so interested in seeing what you do with the “wonky” log cabin blocks—which I also love. I’ve been playing around with that idea too, but it is on the back burner for right now, but... You are getting me into so much “good trouble.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry there's no email connected to your profile. I certainly appreciate your very kind words!!

      Delete
  4. It's really good, Debbie! I've never made a red and green quilt, thinking it would look too Christmasy, but you've just shown how well it works without looking seasonal. There's no doubt - that pop of navy is great to keep the eye moving. The quilting design is good too. Smaller quilts are conducive to trying different walking foot designs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exciting quilt and colors! I like the construction/piecing recipe, that could be used with a lot of different color mixes with just as amazing results.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little pops of navy are perfect! I love the quilting design - I really should get Walk 2.0. Although I haven’t really fully explored Walk yet.

    ReplyDelete