Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Traditional Variations

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of taking a Zoom class with Seattle MQG. As with so many of you, it's been a year now that we've been able to meet in person, though our monthly virtual meetings are still a highlight. Anyway, the class was "Traditional Variations" with Cheryl Arkison.


There were several traditional blocks we could work with, and I chose the classic and familiar log cabin. Maybe I could have challenged myself more, but familiar felt good in the moment.


For fabric, scraps also felt good and comfy, and I selected various green and purple strips, along with pulling my low-volume bin close to grab from as I sewed.


The whole point was to play with variations Cheryl suggested - exercises in size, shape, minimalism, etc. etc. I made several blocks in class, and have continued on - at least until the scraps run out. We'll see.


Obviously I need to finish that QuiltCon Together project and remove my 'Zoom background' before I can really fill up the design wall. So stay tuned. It'll happen.

10 comments:

  1. Nice, I am drawn to bright colors myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the variation you are exploring with one block, and will be curious to see if it informs future work for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the quilt on the right above. Is there a quick way to construct this type of triangle block?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I don't have your email, so hopefully you see this. YES. You can definitely do something similar with a triangle block!!

      Delete
  4. Love these log cabin blocks—and especially like the red dot you added in one! So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see eyes! May be influenced by my location: Kellogg Eye Center! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see eyes! May be influenced by my location: Kellogg Eye Center! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blocks make me so happy. You are so talented and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks are absolutely gorgeous Debbie. I do love a good log cabin block. You made me want to run to my sewing room and take out my scrap bins for some log cabin fun!!

    ReplyDelete