Monday, May 23, 2022

Catching Up with the Seattle MQG BOM

Before another month went by, I really wanted to catch up with our guild Block of the Month, The Year of Doubles.

What is the Year of Doubles?

"Over the next nine months we will give you directions for one 12” traditionally pieced block each month. After you’ve made the 1st block, the traditional block, you will have the option to create a 2nd block playing off the theme of the traditionally pieced block." [from guild website] Well, that was a very clever idea, but for some reason, I just really wanted to make it my own, and focus on the improv versions of the assigned blocks.

When January's assignment was to 'find inspiration and pull fabrics,' I inadvertently found mine in a block I actually made in an abstract piecing workshop early in the year. The palette is a unique orange, aqua, and berry, and the scraps were still gathered together, so it worked for me. And yes, though not officially a part of the BOM, I do plan on including this block in some way in my quilt.



With that said, here are the rest of my blocks so far:

February - Snail's Trail



March - Bear Paw



April - Friendship Star



May - Basket


AND I enjoyed the Sawtooth Stars we are making for a giving quilt so much, that I made another for my BOM. So it's becoming quite the conglomeration. 


The blocks range from 8.5" to 20", and I'm thinking I may make more of these or future blocks - ie. not necessarily just one of each, yet maybe. I'll take it as I go, but at least I'm going, and excited about what I have so far. Now I'm definitely looking forward to June's assignment!

3 comments:

  1. It's a bright and happy color palette, and it doesn't surprise me that the improv style blocks are the ones that call to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Yvonne I am not surprised that you choose to do the improv version ;) Looking forward to seeing this project grow. It is such a fun color palette. Bearpaw and Sawtooth are my current favorites! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun challenge and I like your palette.

    ReplyDelete