Monday, April 15, 2024

The White Stole

During the final days of March and early days of April, I was working on a secret project - another liturgical stole. The occasion for the gift was to be our son's ordination, which occurred on Saturday! Thankfully, we were able to attend, as it took place at his new congregation in another state. You can be sure we were celebrating!

As for the stole, this white one will be used during the several weeks following Easter, as well as other short seasons throughout the church year. Again, I'm used a pattern by Paula BehrensThe base is Essex white, interfaced with Pellon 987F Fusible Fleece; and the lining is Kona white. Even though the 987F fleece worked well for the first stole I made a few months ago, with the white Essex, is seemed to look wrinkled. It took some serious pressing and spray starch to make it presentable.

The stole design was inspired by the Iona Stole from Jeff Wunrow Designs. The main feature is the 1.5" trim, and because I really needed to see some fabric for that in person before purchase, I went to Joann and found some options perfect for what I needed:

  • Silver on White Quilt Glitter Cotton Fabric by Keepsake Calico
  • Gold Shimmer Quilt Foil Cotton Fabric by Keepsake Calico
  • Fabric Traditions Textured White Cotton Fabric by Keepsake Calico
  • Gold Shimmer Quilt Foil Cotton Fabric by Keepsake Calico
  • Screen Blender on White Quilt Cotton Fabric by Quilter's Showcase
Plus I used some Essex Yarn Dyed Metallic Crystal and Diamond Textiles Top Stitch in White that I had in my stash.

I learned a thing or two with this stole - the primary thing being the trim fabric that went around the neck of the stole really had to be cut on the bias. It took making a custom pattern for that bit, a little fiddly, but it worked great once I realized that. Hopefully it isn't obvious, but the trim was hand-appliqued onto the main fabric. I used Aurifil 40wt in white for a little extra strength.

At the center back, I added a 2" gold strip to coordinate with the detail on the front, and also to cover that back neck seam. Again, this stole measured 50" from center back to the bottom front. See my previous stole post to check out how I weighted the front slightly. Due to my method, the bottom front edges were also stitched closed by hand.

As a finishing touch, I stitched one of my A Quilter's Table labels on the lining, and hopefully it isn't noticeable when the stole is being worn. If so, we'll just remove it.

As it happened, we were able to attend worship at our son's church yesterday and since the stole fit the season, he was wearing it. That was fun to see, and it looked great on him, if I do say so myself.