Saturday, February 18, 2012

Saturday Randomness

I keep meaning to share a little postscript from my quilting retreat {here and here} . . . our visit to Over the Rainbow - an online quilt shop near where we stayed.
They open by appointment, which was pretty cool. We opened the door to the 'shop' and saw this:
And everywhere we turned, there was another row of this:
Talk about overwhelming! All the bolts were arranged by manufacturer, many still wrapped in plastic or very high up! Ie. we just walked up and down the aisles seeing what we could see. Where my friends found a new pattern and chose fabrics for their projects, I just looked for some stash basics. Think Benartex Word Play and Michael Miller Quatrefoils. Plus I found a new solid that looked fun to try - Northcott Colorworks in Pearl - a gray a tad lighter than Kona's Ash.

Anyway - fun times, which actually got even funner after check-out! We were each told we could pick five 'scraps' from their large bin pile. That's where I found this:
and this(!):
Since the 'remnants' of Outfoxed were a yard each, I ended up paying $5 total for them and the Heather Ross. I thought that was a good find and a good deal.

Anyway - more randomness - I read about a technique for finishing binding corners that was new to me {here} and a thought-provoking post about 'too much inspiration' {here}. Thoughts??

Lastly, last night was Friday Night Sew-In, and I was able to finish up my blocks for the Sparkle QAL. I had lost track of time on these, until Megan of Canoe Ridge Creations mentioned the link-up for finished quilts is next week! yikes.

8 comments:

  1. Oh that is so cool that you've been to Over the Rainbow! It is the first fabric store I ever bought fabric from and I have ordered from them ever since. I love their newsletter too and hearing all the farm updates. Wish I could have gone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun! That looks like the kind of place you need a lot of time to explore. Your Sparkle quilt is coming along nicely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treat to visit Over the Rainbow!
    As for too much inspiration, I think there's something to that. Sometimes I feel like I'm spending too much time on the computer and not enough sewing. But then again, when I'm sewing I feel like I should be blogging or catching up with other blogs. BTW, I'm seriously behind on my blogs. I try to keep up with yours though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow , 82 comments at Stitched in color regarding inspiration, and I feel their pain. Sometimes it seems like sensory overload, between all the blogs, flickr and Pinterest, but at the same time it's like a train wreck, I just can't look away. I guess we have to find a balance, and be true to our own creativity. By the way, that fabric shop looks like a dream come true. Great deal on the remnants!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice score at the fabric shop! I love that outfoxed line.

    Your sparkle is looking great.

    That binding corners tutorial is good - it's pretty much how I've always done it. How have you done yours, if this is new? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to know how to sew my corners perfectly - the tutorial is so good as it has great photos to illustrate exactly what she describes. Have that bookmarked now. As for too much inspiration I chose option A - take a break. When I don't have the time to keep up with every blog I read, I read those whom I really enjoy (of course yours...) and then press the "Mark all Items as Read" button and move on.
    Sparkle QAL looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like the best shopping trip, the retreat sounds like it was great fun. And your sparkle quilt is going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I didn't realize there was a Heather Ross snail print! You scored big time on all of those fabrics. Great picks.

    Thanks for the link on binding. I have never seemed to get the corners just right. I'll have to try this out on my Sparkle when I finish quilting it. Your's is looking good so far! I can't wait to see it all done. :)

    ReplyDelete