Monday, September 17, 2012

Goodbye Zakka

Zakka Style Sew Along

You know how you do something on a whim some times and it turns out to be a really cool thing? Well that's what the Zakka Style Sew Along has been for me. Just having finished the final project in the book brings the sew along to a close, and I couldn't help but do a little look back.

Of the 24 projects, 8 have already been gifted. Another 8 I have put to frequent use in my home or office. So another 8 are waiting to be gifted or are just hanging out until they find a new home.

Now I have done oodles of crafts in my day, started sewing in 7th grade, earned a degree in Home Economics, and have been a quilter for two decades. But just look at the list below of 'firsts' that I have experienced by doing this sew along.
That in itself has been more than worth it - the deadlines, the inaccuracies, the scramble for supplies, the occasional frustration. Above all, I've been reminded to trust my instincts, and that when something doesn't suit me, to change it up and make it my own. And seriously, don't be afraid to try something new!

Thank you so much to Lindsey and Amy for organizing the sew along, providing fantastic prize incentives, and just plain keeping it fun. Thanks to all my bloggy friends who chattered about the projects as we helped each other through the weeks, oohing and aahing at a new finish. Thanks to friends and family who saw my latest project and said, "Oh I love it!". And thanks to my readers, for letting me share the Zakka journey each week. It's truly been a pleasure.

20 comments:

  1. Isn't that amazing, 24 beautiful and sometimes very challenging projects within 24 weeks. We earned a gold metal!
    It was wonderful having met you through this quilt along and now starting a new adventure with the Mod Pop QAL together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look amazing! Isn't it so great that you can always learn new things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous collage of your beautiful work! These projects are absolutely wonderful, especially the way you made them! Thanks so much for sharing :)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful mosaic, Debbie. I'm so sad to see this end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great experience all around, it looks like. A few bumps along the way, but what a great finish. I think my fave is still the zip wallet - oh, and the little frame pouch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really did Zakka in style - beautiful makes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go!! It's impressive that you stuck with it throughout the sew-along. And you made such lovely little things!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A job more than " well done", beautifully done! You should be very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i enjoyed seeing everyone's projects, yours especially! while i didnt partake, it was a cool thing to follow along on. now on to more cool things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That mosaic is fabulous! And what a fun list of all the new-to-you things you accomplished while Zakka-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you should get a prize just for doing them all, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. For us readers it has been a lot of fun to. I really like your projects and your take on the patterns in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so cool - having completed all those items. It is satisfying to learn whilst creating isn't it? I have enjoyed your company on the Zakka trail and hope our paths cross time-and-time again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great collage. It's been so fun to see all the variations of the projects. I'm sure another book will come along and you'll all be making projects from that =D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, I'm going to miss Zakka! You did a great job on all those projects, and learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It must feel so good to have done all of the projects! And they are all so wonderful too!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed all your projects from this book. You were amazing to keep up the pace : /

    ReplyDelete
  18. I admire you for sticking with it, Debbie and making all the projects. And look all that you learned/gained from the experience! Beautiful things and lots of knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your projects featured here encouraged me to check the book out of the library and plan a few of my own projects. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete