Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Zakka Along Week 5 :: Patchwork Pencil Case

Nothing like a few features to encourage one along in the ways of Zakka. So thanks to Sukie here, here, and here, as well as Lindsey here for affirming my own Zakka style. Oh, and I added a Zakka Sew Along tab right under my blog logo up there. You know, just in case you ever want to go back and see one of my Zakka projects.

So this week's little project is a pencil case designed by Shannon Dreval of petits details, a darling little French blog. If you haven't started yours yet, do check out verykerryberry also, who made a very sweet case, and has alot of good info about the project. Not to mention an awesome alphabet rolling stamp. Honest now, who besides me wants one of those gadgets "just because?"

Anyway, on to the project. I wasn't really inspired by any of the linen I had, so I pulled out some osnaburg, matching it up with some Wordplay and shot cottons. After having so much fun with the variegated Aurifil I used on last week's sewing kit, I pulled another spool out of my sample pack - this time a 12 wt ivory wool. Again, I switched in a 90/14 needle for the bits of top-stitching I did.
When the directions suggest using a chopstick to help with turning, follow instructions. Though a small project in the end, it's alot of bulk to turn through a 1 1/4" opening.

But all turned out ok in the end.

Linking up with LRstitchedTNT Thursday, and sew and tell.

29 comments:

  1. Debbie, I love this! The text fabric looks fabulous with those bright colors. Congrats on being a Zakka hero! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I love the stitching on the solids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The bright solids make it so cheerful, and the text fabric is a perfect pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep meaning to get some osnaburg to see it in person. Your pencil case is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It`s very cute and love your fabrics choice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those fabrics, especially the texty one

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I love your use of text fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute pencil case. I bet that was a pain to turn. Good Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, love the bright colors with the osnaburg! This turned out great :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice Debbie. What are you going to do with all those little projects. Your grand baby?

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO CUTE! You put just the right fabric combination together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks great. I love your colour combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable, Debbie!!! Love all the fabric you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! I love the linen cotton combos! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is very attractive! I like the fabrics.
    I hate turning things. :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute Debbie - love the fabrics you have used! Hope to make mine this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're the Zakka style master! So gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Debbie, I cannot visit your blog without wanting to do whatever it is you have posted! MUST HAVE ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the osnaberg - great choice! And the topstitching really sets off the bright colours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfect little case. Definitely captures the zakka look!

    ReplyDelete
  21. love your fabric choices, as usual! the stitching is lovely- much better than mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so pleasing to the eye! My daughter would really love this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So you gonna sew dad a pocket protector?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Somehow I missed seeing this one earlier...I think it's my favorite one of all the ones shown in the linkie!

    ReplyDelete