Thursday, August 30, 2012

Zakka Along Week 22 :: Pleated Coin Purse

Oh, little frame purse, where have you been all my life?

This week's project by Karyn Valino of make something was THE project I wanted to make when I purchased Zakka Style and started the sew along. It's taken twenty-two weeks to get to the project that in this moment seems like the cutest stitched up treasure I've ever made. (Familiar words - could it possibly have anything to do with the fabric choice?)

It started out as a bit of a treasure hunt weeks ago, as I was planning ahead and searching for the purse frame called for in the book. Then it was announced in the flickr group that we really needed a different size frame. Thank goodness Karyn had them in her shop, and shipped some right out to me, arriving just in the nick of time.

I must say I was a bit nervous though. I could not even imagine how something so cute {with metal involved!} could possible come together without major difficulty. Shape Moth shared the absolutely adorable purses she made, though, so that encouraged me on. And my friend Simone shared a link which armed me with back-up galore as far as technique goes.

Humor me. I'm going to list some links here for safe-keeping, as I sense more frame purses in my future! 
Sew-In Purse Frame Tutorial
Glued-In Purse Frame Tutorial
Making a Tutorial to Match your Frame

So, one night earlier in the week, I started, pulling out some of my very favorite Ruby Star Spring. Before long I had the front and back all pleated up.
 I laid the frame close up, and things looked very hopeful!
Now was the super scary part - attaching that frame! I had even bought glue, E-6000 as suggested by the clerk at the fabric store, since they didn't have Weldbond. But when I realized the frame I had purchased had stitching holes, well I just had to use them!
Considering I only have three colors of Perle Cotton in my stash, I was happy to find a perfect shade of green to coordinate with the Ruby Star and lime Essex Linen lining.
It was a little tricky, yes, but by the second side, it felt pretty good. And boy is that purse snug in its frame.

The project description in Zakka Style reads, "This design brings a crafty classic into modern times. The charming coin purse with a purchased metal frame features sweetly appealing pleating." I couldn't agree more.

Linking up with LRstsitched and TNT Thursday.

31 comments:

  1. Turned out beautifully Debbie - I am in love with your coin purse! I have the frame and the glue and I am ready to crack on and make mine but can't decide on the fabric!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love how your purse turned out! And to think you didn't need to use dreadful glue! It is SO wonderful, I may have to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the cutest thing ever, Debbie!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I have the frames and glue but have not wanted to tackle this one yet. I think the stitching that attaches the purse to the frame is a fun touch, and seems more do-able than glue!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, thanks for sharing the links, I havent done mine yet, I dont like glueing do to my inpatients and the mess I create, I did glue my frame though, lots of glue.. LOL. love your purse. I think we should do the other book too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness gracious- you win the prize in my book!! Absolutely lovely- it doesn't get any better than the pleats and stitching!! :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! Love the fabric choice being a MM fanatic ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so gorgeous...love the fabrics you picked!

    ReplyDelete
  10. There could be no better use of precious fabric - it is adorable - beyond adorable! I'm so scared of making one but really want to so thanks for including the links for me later...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a triumph! That fabric is so perfect for this. I do want to try making one of these some time when I can get my hands on a frame.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is so darling!! Great job Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable!! And I knew I recognized that fabric from somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the perfect fabric for the pouch. It turned out so very pretty.
    Funny, how you looked forward to this project. I feared it. But I am really having fun making it now.
    Now comes the tricky part: sewing the little purse to the frame. I'll try tonight ...

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful pouch Debbie, I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbie, this little pouch is gorgeous!!! You did such a wonderful job, it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, it's so good! I love that print, too, and your stitching is such a great touch! I've been wanting to try this pattern. Hope I can get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a charming little purse! I love the stitching you did.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks great, I knew you could do it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally, totally sweetly awesome. The stitching absolutely makes it. I love this project! I may have said this before but when I flipped through this book I was a little "meh" on the projects but you've changed my mind bit by bit each week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an exquisite purse. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a gorgeous purse! The pleating is very effective to the shape =D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Debbie,
    Your purse is beautiful!! I had ordered a smaller frame before I saw the corrections, and for my first am going to go ahead and use it. Your links will be helpful, I'm sure. This, too, is the project I most wanted to make. I'll post when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your purse is so cute - love the fabrics you have used. I will have to have a look out for some of the stitched purse frames as I am afraid of mucking it up with the glue.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, stitching the frame in seems far better to me after seeing this project! I can tell you the e6000 is super sturdy but scary too. Amazing purse, I wouldn't want it inside my big purse at all :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness, your purse is so adorable!!! I am just loving all of your Zakka projects!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now that you have done it, I'm feeling brave. I was shying away from those little frames. But yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh this turned out so darling! Now I want to make a frame purse! Great job, it is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete