Monday, August 6, 2012

Digits

I don't mean to keep bringing back my previous quilts, but in this case, it helps to explain my latest finish, which I'm calling "Digits". I've been calling it QWERTY II, because it's basically a re-do of QWERTY, a quirky little mini I came up with for the Modern Mini Challenge earlier this year, but in reality, Digits is not really inspired by a QWERTY keyboard.
QWERTY hangs outside the door to my office at work, and my friend Nancy, who just happens to be our company's bookkeeper, loves it and asked me to make me a version for her. She hunted down the number fabric for the background, and then picked through my entire stash of Sketch to find colors that coordinated.
The machine applique went pretty smoothly, and of course, the framing. But what I was really excited to do was a repeat of the dense organic straight-line quilting I had first done in QWERTY. Not sure why, but I love doing this, and it creates an awesome, sturdy texture that wouldn't be that inviting on a large quilt maybe, but on a mini - perfection.
Nanc was off today, but there'll be a little surprise when she comes to work tomorrow . . .

This quilt is my third finish for the Third Quarter Finish-A-Long {see list here}. Linking up with Fabric Tuesday.

14 comments:

  1. How cute is that!!! I love it when the recipient wants to be involved and is excited as well, makes it that much more satisfying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable! I hope you'll let us know what Nancy says when she first sees it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool Debbie - I am sure Nancy will love it when she sees it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie! Nancy will be so exited findind your lovely mini quilt! I love both of these quilts - great idea! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt for a numbers person! Nance will love it I'm sure! Who wouldn't?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That quilt is too cool for school - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creative idea to incorporate symbols and numbers into a top! I o agree with the quilting you have done here as well! Really great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous quilting again Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Digits is lovely, what a great present!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hee hee, how perfect for her, hope she was suitably surprised :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such an awesome mini! She'll love it for sure =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. So awesome! It really turned out great!

    ReplyDelete