So I've mentioned the pincushion project a time or two, and we are making great progress now that the tops are all made - mini (4 1/2") patchworks in a variety of patterns, all stitched from the scrap basket.
And I say 'we' because my mom kindly offered to fill all those pincushions while I kept the assembly line going. They were filled with crushed walnut shells, which I found in 1# bags at a local quilt shop. (Just under $2/pound.) I had only heard about using these shells before, so was anxious to see what we thought. And mom and I agree it's terrific. Ignore the hole in this bag, but it really was a relatively easy process - mom figured out each pincushion loosely held 3/4 cup of shells, which she poured in a small opening left in each pincushion via a funnel. So one bag was enough for 3-4 pincushions, and we are really pleased with the result.
Per the recipient's request, I stitched on ribbon and a button. Thanks to my granny's button tin, we found a sweet vintage one for this 'sample'.
So we've a ways to go. All the cushions are filled and pinned shut, so I'll be sewing them closed through the week. Then we'll reconvene to finish them all off with ribbon and buttons. So a ways to go, but they are coming along sweetly!