Saturday, March 2, 2013

Odds and Ends and The Next Step

It seems I've collected some bits to share with you - a variety of odds and ends that I find particularly interesting . . .

Rachel of Stitched in Color wrote a thought-provoking post a week or so ago all about defining your personal style. I think it's a great read, and will definitely be considering some of her suggestions for myself. I think it would be an interesting exercise for us all - not to restrict in any way, but just for thoughtful consideration and self-awareness. Her post is here.

Not being at QuiltCon, I have still thoroughly enjoyed reading all the posts about it. And honestly, it was fun to know that I had just a tiny part in making one of the quilts in the show.
Hope Takes Flight 2.0 ~ Ready for Austin

The blocks for this quilt were made by the FAITH Circle of do.Good Stitches, then the quilt was finished by Melissa of We Shall Sew. (I know I've seen photos around of it hanging at QuiltCon . . . when I run across one again, I'll add it in . . . or if you know of one, let me know.)

And speaking of QuiltCon, it was great to hear that some of the lectures are available on Craftsy! I hope to listen up soon. {here}

I thought this was a really helpful post by Monkey Do/I'm a Ginger Monkey, if you want to make pillows. I love following her on Instagram - so inspiring!
Quilting thread

Diary of a Quilter has a Virtual Quilting Bee series going on that I also think is really full of helpful information, especially suited for beginners. So far she's posted about Essential Quilting Supplies, Fabric Selection, and Basic Quilting Techniques.

I know many of you are like me - tempted at every turn by some new project! This one is currently on my mind - a Pink Chalk's Mail Sack. Seems like it would be a fun little diversion. Look close at the hand-stitching!

And lastly, I've been mulling it over for a while and just this week joined the Seattle Modern Quilt Guild. It just seemed a logical "next step" in my quilting journey. So I'll keep you posted on that!


The Modern Quilt Guild

Whew! That's it for now! Hope you have a great day!

Linking up with Really Random Thursday on Saturday.

12 comments:

  1. wow lots to chew on! Watch the lectures on craftsy... I did and they are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that quilt at QuiltCon but I did not take a picture of it. I think you will have fun with the SMQG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on joining the SMQG! I wish I had a MQG near me, I can only imagine the fun that you will have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you'll have loads of fun at the guild :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE the hand stitching on the mail sack. Great links here, Debbie--thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That mail bag looks like a greta project...think I might need to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic quilt, love it and Congrats on having it at Quilt Con!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I followed Rachel's steps to figure out my quilting style - it was a great exercise, I'd love to hear what you come up with for your style if you do it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're on a quilt journey... And it's a pleasure to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got the Craftsy lectures too. You get to watch and not just listen, which is good because you get to see the same things the people in the front row saw, some things even better.

    I'm going to have a look at the quilting style post, but somehow I don't think I ever will have one. I want to do too many things.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tempted by shiny new projects? Yup. I'm with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had no idea the lectures were available on Craftsy so thanks for that and how lovely to have a part in a quilt exhibited at Quiltcon! This is a great post - thanks for the roundup :)

    ReplyDelete