Friday, March 22, 2013

Process

What seems like ages ago, I signed a statement that, whether you realize it or not, has affected my sharing on this blog, and in fact the course of my quilting and creating in general. I took the Process Pledge. And so have 866 others of you. Take this as a reminder - or a new consideration - that sharing your process is a gift to others. And for me, it is a gift to myself as well, enhancing my enjoyment of my craft. It adds a thoughtfulness to each step along the way, and a greater satisfaction in the end product. In writing "the story" of a project, it tends to elevate the experience, making it so much more than a task accomplished.
The Process Pledge

So consider this post a prologue about one of my current projects, a half-square triangle quilt made in collaboration with the FAITH circle of do.Good Stitches. It started with me posting sample blocks and giving my bee-mates size and color info.
As blocks began to arrive, I made a mosaic to get an idea of where we were heading.
And eventually, I pieced most of the blocks into our quilt top! (It was hard to take it off the design wall, I was enjoying it so much!)
The remaining blocks were pieced into a backing. It took some consideration and moving back and forth before I settled on what "went together" best for the front and then the back. I like to think of this more of a two-sided quilt than most I make. And I think all the lovely hsts make that true.
Finally! My most dreaded of steps - the basting. Usually I clamp the backing onto my dining table . . .
Then first spray baste the batting down, one section at a time, then arrange the top and baste it one section at a time. I tend to spray baste most often, as I find I have less shifting when it comes to the actual quilting. And it is just plain faster for me, which I appreciate.
And then it's time for quilting. I really thought all the angles in this quilt design called for some straight-line. For this quilt, I'm stitching at 3/4" intervals, with white Aurifil.
So here's where I am now - actually just a tad further. I figure I'm about 1/3 done, so it'll be a few more hours, but I really like how it's coming along. I'm stitching a few rows, then marking several more with my ruler and hera marker, then stitching those, etc. back and forth. 
So stay tuned . . . for the rest of the story.

Linking up with Fabric Tuesday.

29 comments:

  1. I must try and blog the process more often. Your quilt is looking lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! What kind of clamps do you use? I have the table space but I hadn't thought of clamping the quilt to spray baste (which I love -- well, until I make one of the rare large quilts). I usually use the floor but we have tile and sometimes the grout lines don't encourage a great basting experience. Using my tables would be fabulous! I guess I could also tape it to the tables like I tape it to the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh, it's going to be gorgeous!!!! Love, love, love all those colors, and HSTs, and your quilting matches it all so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, I have appreciated your blog from the moment you first 'friended' me when I was just starting. Your blog is one of my go to daily stops. I still don't know how you manage to post daily, and work, and do family stuff! Amazing lady you are ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is always interesting to see other people's process. I had never considered basting on the kitchen table. Mine isn't big enough, but maybe someday :) I like spray baste but I haven't been able to justify adding another cost to the quilting process when I can pin baste at no cost. Maybe someday though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debbie! That quilt looks so great and beautiful! Triangles are wonderful, they can make so different kinds of patterns.
    I enjoy sharing process of my works. I just showed how i started my first foundation paper piecing - the woodpecker - wow, it's difficult! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the blocks and it just looks beautiful! happy quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love posts about the process! I always mean to but forget to take the necessary progress photos. This is going to a great quilt! Such a lot of quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! I usually don't spray baste in the house. Do you just open a window?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also took that pledge and I so love to see others process! Thanks for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally hate basting too. In fact, I have lots of quilts that need to be quilted but am putting it off cos I hate basting so much!!

    The colours in your quilt are lovely. This is going to look stunning when all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful quilt, it makes me want to get out the HSTs and play. Thank you for sharing your basting process too, using the table is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great quilt...thanks for sharing your "process"...I always enjoy reading about how quilters do what they do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Time on the design wall paid off big time. It look fantabulous! Thanks for sharing you methodology

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking forward to seeing the end of the process :o) Sometimes I do better than others with the sharing, half the time it depends on if I'm actually allowed to share o.O

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where do you do your spray basting? Do you take any precautions in that area? Does the spray get on other things? Do you wear a mask?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking good, Debbie! I love learning about the process that other folks use. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did the process challenge too! I've loved seeing this on instagram. I didn't realize it for do GOod! Looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice post - and project! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this quilt. The solids and hsts are so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love reading about processes...I'm more about the journey than the destination. I will try to be better about that in my blog in the future. Thank you for the inspiration!

    I love the simple elegance of the colors and pattern. The quilting (Love basting spray here too!) is going to be amazing when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks great with the half square triangles. I love the layout. I kind of wish I had a bigger dining room table so I wouldn't have to crawl around on the floor all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love how all the different shades play together in this one. I've been thinking of doing something with solids...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful quilt! I love the bold colors with the neutrals.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am in love with the colors in your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love that this is a collaboration. It's amazing. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this quilt so much that I'm going to replicate it! I'd be very appreciative if you could tell me how big the squares are, as I can't quite guess from the picture. I've got all my fabrics, so I'm ready to cut.

    ReplyDelete